Acer S7-391-6822 Plugged in, Not charging. Orange light blinking / flashing

Options
more123
more123 Member Posts: 13 New User

We have 8 of the S7-391-6822 laptops that are recently out of warranty. All laptops are experiencing the same issue right now: Plugged in not charging. The orange battery light keeps blinking. We paid almost 12000 for these machines and we have bricks right now because we need the batteries to be working. Acer we need your help. 

Thanks.

Answers

• Inspiration101
    Inspiration101 Member Posts: 185 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

There is a reset hole on these models you can insert a paperclip into, have you tried this ? 

Are any screws missing on the underside, or even loose ? This model from my recollections has a "different" power setup from the norm and if certain screws are not in place and secured then the model will not power up and charge as intended.

I would be tempted to get the BIOS updated also and see if this resolves the problem.

Best of luck ! Smiley Happy

• more123
    Options

Do you by any chance know which hole is it? There are two holes in the base without screws. But I searched online for pictures of this model and these two holes are appearntly supposted to stay empty. All screws are setup the way laptops came from Acer. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Regards,

• more123
    Options

I found the battery reset button but it did not do anything unfortunately. This is a big issue. I am not sure why Acer isn't taking care of this issue and creating a recall for all these systems. These companies get away with too many manjor defects nowadays.

• more123
    Options

It's a shame no one from Acer is answering this. We will lose money because of this defet and Acer need to step up and recall these machines. Obviously the batteries installed are no good. 

• ardawson
    ardawson Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I'm having the same issue, but my laptop is 'new'! Sold as a 'distance selling laws' return, or 'As New', battery at 0% charged, "plugged in, not charging", can't update BIOS as that requires a minimum battery level of 5%, unhelpfully!  (Laptop model: S7-391-6822)

• more123
    Options

The battery reset button is useless. I don't know if that ever resolves a problem. In the manual there are no instruction on how to proceed with resetting the battery. It only says press it for four seconds. Does not say laptop has to be plugged in or not. I tried many different combinations and got nothing. I have EIGHT laptops with this same issue. And guess what; these laptops started experiencing these issues right after the warranty expired. go figure. 

• dz20
    dz20 Member Posts: 35

Tinkerer

Options

Try to uninstall the battery driver. Someone posted in a cnet forum that it might work.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19681_102-345945/plugged-in-not-charging/

Also do a battery report to see if your battery is ok.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/check-out-the-health-of-your-device-with-the-windows-8-battery-report/

I am guessing it's more of a software glitch.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

more123,

Can you give me a bit more detail about what's going on with these systems? I understand that having 8 (I assume the only 8 your have?) are all having the same issue. My question is whether the unit's work at all? Are they working on AC Adapter but not charging the battery? So if you're using the machine, and you unplug it, the power is gone from the machine?

I think having 8 machines having the same issue is odd. I'm certain we can figure something out.

• more123
    Options

Laptops work ok when plugged in. The battery won't charge and it stays at 0% (Plugged in, not charging). When the ac adapter is removed the laptop would immediately shut off. 

We left these laptops off for about 4 weeks as I was on vacation. Cam back and they are no longer charging. 

I tried uninstalling the battery driver in device manager that does not help (Most of the time that fix does not help by the way - after reading many online solutions). I can't upgrade the bios because the battery level is at 0%. Also I am not confident the bios upgrade will do anything to resolve this). 

• more123
    Options

We are in urgent need for a fix. Acer appearntly does not have any direct after warranty support. The only thing I have is the Acer community. Any help will be very much appreciated.

• Cory-Acer
    Options

Can you try taking one of them and ensuring the the screws in the bottom of the unit are tightened thoroughly?

Here's a post I made on the issue some time back: http://community.acer.com/t5/Ultra-Thin/Acer-Aspire-S7-391-9413-keeps-shutting-down-randomly-while-under/m-p/119941#M4712

• more123
    Options

I have check the screws they are all tight. I have never touched these screws before (stil factory installation).. 

When I connect the adapter the orange light keeps blinking (approximately ounce a second).. 

• Cory-Acer
    Options

Can you send me a private message with the serial numbers for these units? I'll continue to dig and see what I can find.

• more123
    Options

Hi,

Sorry I am new to the site. How do I send a PM?

• Cory-Acer
    Options

Click on my name and it will take you to a profile page. On the right there will be an option to send user a private message.

Cory

• more123
    Options

I have just sent you the PM.

Regards,

• Cory-Acer
    Options

I've got your message and I'll also share specifics with you in a PM.

I see you've spoken with our Level 2, and I think that they've provided the best course of action which is to bring 1 unit in for service and see if we can identify a problem.

I really feel like there is something being overlooked here that's causing this issue. Have you cloned the drives or installed software that might be affecting the battery and the drivers? Is it possible to reload a system completely to see if the issue still persists?

• more123
    Options

I can try full system recovery for sure. I have not tried that yet merely because I was thinking the battery has died. But I will try that today.

I'll let you know..

• more123
    Options

system recovery did not resolve the problem. Do you guys have any other ideas?

• Sn0w
    Sn0w Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I am having the exact same issue with mine, and have yet to determine or find a solution. For a $1700 ultra book this is rather inconvenient.