travelmate 5742z-windows 7 home premium-windows cannot start

Options
brissie
brissie Member Posts: 2 New User

Message says I need installation disk to repair computer. I pressed Alt F10  and got to Acer eRevoery Management where there are 2 options, option 1 does a complete reinstal to factory settings (so all your personal files are lost) and option 2 which keeps your data. Unfortunately option 2 is not active ie not available to choose. If I buy an installation disk, say windows 8, would I be able to start up windows & only upgrade without losing any of my files ?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

If recovery option 1 is available, you can remove the HDD and connect ot to another computer and save your files.

You can download Windows 8.1 media free, burn the ISO to a CD and use it to repair the Windows 7.

2016-06-09_1629.png

• brissie
    brissie Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you so very much for your advice. I am in the process of buying the device to connect the hard drive to my other computer. I have to wait a few days for it to be delivered, but I am very hopeful that it will work. i'm not a tech fundi and didn't know you could do this, so I'm extremely happy & excited that I may be able to help myself  with your assistance offcourse.I hope that I can help someone in this way some day!

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Good deal. I hope it works out for you.