Why can't I put a Acer Travelmate C100 screen on Acer Travelmate C110 laptop

BDesco
BDesco Member Posts: 2 New User

This may be a bit far fetched to expect answer but hey the internet is huge.

So I have 2 acer travelmates: one C100 and the other C110. http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-travelmate-c100-tablet-pc-tmc102t/specs/ http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-travelmate-c110/specs/

The C100 is really obsolete (but runs windows xp), but on the C110 I installed Linux Mint and it really works well.

Yet the C110 has a thick black vertical line in the LCD screen. The C100 screen is in good shape. Both screens look exactly alike from the outside (apart from one sticker mentioning C100 of C110). Also their connections are exactly the same. So hey why not try to switch the screens. Or better upgrade the C110 with the C100 screen. Yet when I do that the C110 laptop powers on, no screen display and after 3-4 seconds shuts down. When I put the orginale c110 screen in place: all works perfect again. Put the C100 screen on: again: power on an immediate shutdown (no startup beeps, no nothing). What would be so incompatible with the older C100 screen on the C110 that this C110 wouldn't even give some error code. Both screens work perfect on their original computer. 

Thanks!

Answers

• I see you got the answer from Superuser.They are different.

• BDesco
    BDesco Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm sorry for crossposting. But I thought that this forum would be more fitting for the question.

The answer 'use only exact same part numbers' is to me also a bit an easy answer. I can't tell you how often I have switched things to make 1 good computer from several defect ones. And no way was compatibility limited to exact same part numbers. And if there was a problem: it was never that I couldn't start the pc or laptop if the power was ok. At least I got error beeps or something.

So in short: to me the power up and immediate power down is 'strange behaviour'.

The second answer (acer made it that way to force me to use exact same parts) is possible, but maybe someone on this forum could elaborate.

I have questions like:

- which part is causing this? Maybe I could switch LCD's between the screen and leave all other parts intact (inverter, digitizer, ...).

- I checked part numbers on both laptops only the partnumber on the inverter differs

- On both manuals it is stated about the inverters: There is an EEPROM in the inverter, which stores its supported LCD type and ID code. If you replace a new inverter or replace the LCD with a different brand, use Inverter ID utility to update the ID information. Is this the reason for my problem (though both LCD have exact same part numbers)? I searched for this utility but could not find it,

Let's say I was hoping for someone with hands-on experience on this or other travelmates of that era.

• From that, it sounds like if you swap the inverter the screen would work. Worth a try.