Travelmate p253-m power off after a few seconds

Options
Glendalf81
Glendalf81 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi and good day forum members

i have been given a travelmate p253-m which will not power up, switches on for between 5 and 10 seconds then switches off, the fan does not kick in as you would expect either

tried the usual suspects, i.e. ram, battery, CMOS battery, 58 second power reset, hard drive and even switched out the CPU with an identical one (i3 3110m) out of my lenovo laptop but still nothing.

no evidence of liquid damage, in fact the laptop is immaculate.

is this a common fault with this model? or do any of you guys have any idea what else it might be

many thanks in advance

Glenn

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

If you have checked and tested everything, the only thing left is a bad motherboard.

• Glendalf81
    Glendalf81 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

any specific area of the motherboard that could have gone faulty?

would like to attempt a repair if i can narrow down where i should be looking for a fault

thanks

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Look at the capacitors and see if any are bulging out on the ends and sometimes bulging on the sides.

I used to repair motherboards in monitors and arcade video games and it was almost always a cap causing the problem.

follow the traces and look for breaks. If it's a solid state device, you would need to disconnect them and test the resistance in them.