Travelmate P645-SG-79QV :)

Options
kogumelow
kogumelow Member Posts: 1 New User

Hey guys,

I am thinking on buying a P645-SG-79QV but there are a few things holding me back. While the battery life and the build quality seem VERY good, there a lot of conflicting reviews regarding the keyboard and the touchpad. Well so there go a few topics a like to discuss:

1) Is the keyboard a major flaw on the notebook, or you just need to get used to it? Same for the touchpad

2) I have read some reviews on the internet that say that after some months of use the P645 starts stutting off randomly. Is this a real thing or there are just isolated cases? (If no, is this fixed on the P645-SG revision?)

3) This one I couldn't find anywhere. In the models that DO NOT HAVE integrated 3G out of the factory come with the wwan antennas? I plan to instal a UTMS/3G module, but don't know if this will be possible without the antennas alredy being there.

4) The paint job. There are some people on the net saying that they P645 models have a crappy paintjob that started coming out after weeks of use. Is this actually a problem or theyt are just careless?

Thanks, and every answer is appreciated.

Answers

• dinosaurSupervi
    dinosaurSupervi Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Hey there,

1) I agree with notebookcheck.net saying "the typing experience is not entirely satisfying: the keys are completely flat and lack tactile feedback, and key travel is restricted to about 1 mm. While we didn't have any problems typing quickly, we do prefer the keyboards found on ThinkPads or Latitudes." The keyboard doesn't hamper typing, but a longer key travel would feel better. The Layout is very good, I have no issues witch accuracy.

2) I cannot confirm random shutdowns. Maybe this is due to energy saving settings?

3) I cannot answer this, sincy my model has 3G integrated.

4) I have absolutely no issues with the paint. Even when traveling around in my Rucksack, the paint holds. The entire case is very sold, and gives me a high-class impression. After months of travelling around there are no scratches visible - it looks as in mint condition.

source

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-TravelMate-P645-MG-9419-Ultrabook.108645.0.html

• kidziti
    kidziti Member Posts: 26 New User
    Options

1) Is the keyboard a major flaw on the notebook, or you just need to get used to it? Same for the touchpad

I really have no problem with the keyboard.  If you look afound, the reviews vary graetly about this - some hate it and others love it.  I think it is a question of personal taste rather than quality, which I would argue is excellent.  The deck is as solid as rock, so there is no flex are vagueness to each keypress.  Interestingly, my ThinPad (T40) keyboard - while a pleasure to use - did not last.  Several keys stopped working.  My VAIO was even worse - prompting me to buy a bluetooth keyboard which I use with my TravelMate when I'm at home (Logitech K810).  I generally dislike touchpads - again personal taste - so for most of my work I use a bluetooth mouse (Microsoft Notebook Mouse 5000).

2) I have read some reviews on the internet that say that after some months of use the P645 starts stutting off randomly. Is this a real thing or there are just isolated cases? (If no, is this fixed on the P645-SG revision?)

I have the TravelMate P645-MG (the Radeon-equipped model) - have used it since May 2014 - and never had an issue with anything remotely like this.

3) This one I couldn't find anywhere. In the models that DO NOT HAVE integrated 3G out of the factory come with the wwan antennas? I plan to instal a UTMS/3G module, but don't know if this will be possible without the antennas alredy being there.

Not sure on this one.

4) The paint job. There are some people on the net saying that they P645 models have a crappy paintjob that started coming out after weeks of use. Is this actually a problem or theyt are just careless?

The paint job on mine has held up great over 17 months of travelling and heavy use.  Not a scratch or a chip on it.

Hope this helps.