TravelMate P6 Sales & Marketing FAIL.

MarkChutney
MarkChutney Member Posts: 6 New User

Acer advertise the Travelmate P6 in the Qantas in-flight magazine. Beautiful piece of hardware and just what I'm looking for. I've owned a TravelMate 8103WLMi for years and it's never skipped a beat.

Visiting www.acer.com.au, it's listed under Products -> Laptops, but searching for further details at the bottom of the page via the "View All Models" link, it's not listed.

The contact details for the closest vendor ("Accent Business Solutions") in Sydney don't work. Only 1 of the remaining 4 took down my details and will "get back to me".

It's not listed in your online store at http://store.acer.com.au/acer/store/index.php/notebook.html

Your on-hold advice suggests going to "www.acer.com.au/byo" for product information, which redirects to www.shopacer.com.au WHICH DOESN'T EXIST.

The Contact Us form on acer.com.au website is throwing an error "Unable to Connect to tcp://api-verify.recaptcha.net:80. Error #0: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known".

Gave up after 15 minutes of being on hold trying to reach your Sales people @ 1300 365 100.

From http://www.acer-group.com/public/index/officelist.htm, trying +61-2-8762-3000, option 1 which redirects to the same unreachable Sales people. Gave up after waiting a further 10 minutes on hold.

Bing Lee don't stock it, **bleep** Smith don't stock it, Domayne don't stock it, Harvey Norman don't stock it, JBHiFi don't stock it.

I would really like to buy a P6 but you're making it very difficult **bleep** near impossible. How many other people are trying to buy your products and just giving up in frustration at the utterly broken procurement process? I could buy a Dell or Lenovo laptop using their onlines sites in the time it's taken me to write this post!

Answers

• Ideas_Acer
    Ideas_Acer Member Posts: 284 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Well Mark, clearly your money just is not good enough for us. Smiley Frustrated   Seriously though, I truly apologize for this epic fail that you have encountered, and I certainly admire your tenacity in trying so many ways to give us your business.  I am not involved directly in the operations at our Australia location, but I assure you that I have made a major point of your experience to folks who can and will address this.  If you can please be a bit MORE patient we will get back to you with some much better information that will help you get these issues resolved right away.  Again, on behalf of Acer, I apologize for causing you so much frustration, and I thank you for bringing this to our attention.

• MarkChutney

Thank you. I came close to compromising last night and buying from another vendor, but I thought I'd wait a bit longer to see if anyone from Acer took notice - glad to see a response.

Very much looking forward to finding out how/where I can buy my P6! Smiley Happy

• MarkChutney

Seems my frustrations may have been a somewhat misdirected. On the return flight I noticed Acer have included a URL in the ad, "smb.acer.com.au" that actually has full details and purchasing options for the TravelMate P6.

Saying that, I can't see any link to it from www.acer.com.au, so unless you're paying attention (which I clearly wasn't), you'll likely end up in the mess I dealt with initially.

Order placed - apologies for the (slightly unwarranted) rant.

• Ideas_Acer
    Ideas_Acer Member Posts: 284 Practitioner WiFi Icon

YOU,Sir, are indeed one tenacious customer!  Firstly, thank you VERY much for giving Acer your business, in spite of everything that we did to dissuade you.  It is truly a pleasure to see someone so anxious to acquaire one of our products.

Regarding the 'mess' that you encountered, I went to the Acer Australia website to have a look.  It COULD be more obvious for sure, but at the bottom of the page of all of our consumer laptops is an arrow linking to the 'Professional Products' section.  There, you would find the TravelMate P6 and it's full description.  However, when clicking on 'View All Models' for the TM6, we take you to a single entry ... our Switch 12 2-in-1 consumer device. GAAGH!!!  So, even if you had found the TM6 page, we would have taken you right away from it again.  OMG!

So first, our web team has been notified of the linking error and is repairing that as I type this.  Second, because you were on the consumer pages, you most likely were calling retailers and sales people for our consumer product lines.  Our profesional products folks are entirely different, as they are typically selling to commercial customers, large institutions, schools, etc.  I suspect you were getting so little response to your inquiries because the consumer folks had no idea what you were quite unfamiliar with the product you were asking about.  We will be having a look at that situation also, thanks to your very thorough (and embarrassing) description of our handling of your attempts.

So one more time, thank you for contacting us about this; we ARE taking action.  Thanks you for sticking with us through all of the obstacles we set up for you.  And thank you most of all for purchasing the TM6 notebook.  I'm sure that you will enjoy it.  G'day!