[TMB115-M-41RQ] Flashing the BIOS without Windows

Options
MrksKwsnck
MrksKwsnck Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I am asking for help to flash my TravelMate B115-M BIOS (InsydeH20) without installing Windows, as it was delivered with Linux Linpus preinstalled and since then I am running Ubuntu Linux.

At first I issued that questions to the official Acer support but they refused my question with the simple answer: There are flash tools provided for Windows only :-(

Nevertheless, I googled around the WWW and found some hints to be able to flash some Acer laptops using the magic keyboard shortcut Fn+Esc while powering up the laptop with the power cord plugged in. This is called the recovery flash mode or something like that and I realized my Acer laptop also knows that procedure. After issuing that keyboard shortcut the blue power LED is blinking and waiting for some BIOS files on an USB drive while the screen remains black.

But now I'm stuck because I don't know how to provide the BIOS files to the BIOS recovery procedure. Well, surely the drive must be formatted as FAT32..? But which files do I need? The BIOS update for my Acer model (TMB115-M-41RQ) consists of a single file ZHJB_140.exe but I realized that file can be extracted using some Zip tools. After extracting I got all these files:

README.txt
ZHJB_140.exe

BiosImageProcx64.dll
Ding.wav
FlsHookDll.dll
FlsHook.exe
FWUpdLcl.exe
InsydeFlashx64.exe
iscflashx64.dll
iscflashx64.sys
platform.ini
xerces-c_2_7.dll

I don't know which of these files I need and what to do with them. So I simply copied all that files onto a FAT32 formatted USB drive without a directory structure and hoped for the best. Issuing the magic shortcut the USB drive as well as the power LED started blinking. I waited up to 30 minutes but nothing happened... Anyway, restarting the laptop it is still running the old BIOS version.

And so now I don't no what to do furthermore. Hopefully someone out there in the big Acer community can help?

Thanks in advance

Answers