Screen is making me very sick

jbol
jbol Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Before I go on, I should mention that I get sick in supermarkets from fluorescent tube lights and similar LED lighting, I start becoming nauseous, headaches evetually feeling very sick, just like being sea sick.

I have just bought a P645-SG with an LED backlit screen, previously I've only used CCFL backlit TFT screens with on problem. Yesterday for example I used it for just 2 hours, it has made me very very sick and nauseous I had to take the day off (I work for myself).

The only other LED type screen I've used in the past is an ASUS UX303LN which has a very glossy screen and didn't have the same effect on me.

I don't know what to do since I love the P645 it's perfect for what I'm after, long battery life etc. but of course it's rendered unuseable by the screen. I have the 1080p screen and was thinking maybe downgrading to the 1366x768 screen might help. Maybe it's possible to downgrade to a CCFL type screen?

Also since it didn't appear to occur with the UX303 I'm thinking perhaps it's the screen blur from the matte screen?

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Answers

• jbol

Tinkerer

Ok I've tried f.lux which hasn't helped at all.

I've narrowed the problem down to it being a pwm screen and also heavy on blue light, it is really quite nauseating.

My last resort is to try something like an ocushield filter.

Failing this I will have to return it, very disappointed.

• jbol

Tinkerer

I had another thought, is it possible to swap out the 14" LED screen for a better faster refresh rate LED? The problem is the refresh rate which is stuck at 60p and needs to be at least 75-80. This is what's making me sick, the pwm.

• jbol

Tinkerer

Can anyone from Acer chime in here please?

I'm trying to increase the refresh rate of the P645-SG screen so I can keep it, I need to get it over at least 75hz as I suffer from PWM sickness.

Any help would be appreciated or the laptop is being sent back, unfortunately.

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Acer notebook. I am not aware of a way to increase the refresh rate over 75hz. It may be possible for you to have the screen changed out but this is not something Acer supports or can guarantee will work. 

• jbol

Tinkerer

Acer-Mary thanks for the reply.

I discovered the problem. It's not actually due to the pwm since the screen is actually pwm free.

The screen an AUO113D has a matte "fuzz" to it and is very bright, it's actually a problem other people describe on other laptops, Alienware 14 and others.

I will have to change the screen that's the solution.