Graphics Card Issues on Travelmate P645-MG

aearon09
aearon09 Member Posts: 7 New User

I have a Travelmate P645-MG, with Intel HD Graphics as well as a Radeon 8750M. The graphics do not ever switch to the discrete card, no matter what programs I am running. I have even set all switchable graphics settings to "high performance", no luck. I have issues with running Photoshop and Illustrator due to this, and I can only run some games on basic settings, others don't really run at all. I have been told by Acer that there is no way to force the computer to default to the AMD card, which is unfortunate but shouldn't be necessary if the switchable graphics are working as intended. 

I have tried multiple fixes for this. As mentioned above I have configured the switchable graphics to high performance. I have also updated the Bios to the latest version. I have tried to update to the latest drivers from the Acer website (drivers provided for my laptop model) - the AMD driver has no effect, and the Intel driver will not install, it says "this installation package is not supported by this processor type". 

When I check to see what graphics are running, dxdiag says one of two things. Normally, it shows the Intel HD graphics only. If I disable the Intel HD graphics, which should cause the computer to revert to the AMD (even if everything does not function properly), it reverts to 'basic' graphics instead, so it only has 3 resolution options and no Windows Aero, etc. When I check the dxdiag in this state, it says that my display adapter is working as intended, but everything says "unidentified". Obviously this is not the AMD card.

I am chatting with Acer support currently, who tried to tell me first that the programs I'm using 'don't need the AMD card' and that's why it's not switching (gee, thanks for the helpful hint, I'll just go back to my twitchy Photoshop and unbearably laggy Diablo 3). Now they're telling me to do a factory reset and then probably send the unit in for repair. I am not really that confident that this will solve the problem, since I still won't be able to configure the graphics myself, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. 

I can't believe that I paid extra for this computer model because it had discrete graphics, but Acer thinks it should tell me when I am allowed to use them. Totally unacceptable, and I really hope that they release a bios update in future for this machine that will fix this!

Answers