Fingerprint registration fails

Options
kidziti
kidziti Member Posts: 26 New User

System: Travelmate P645-MG (top model with 1080HD, Radeon Graphics, 256 SSD), Windows 7 64-bit Pro

I have recently had problems getting the fingerprint scanner to work.  Now only one finger registers properly (my left ring finger).  I had my spouse try to register and it failed there as well - so I know I don't have defective fingers.  I was always used to the credential registration process being somewhat fickle, but now it lets me swipe each finger 6 times with a green light on each swipe, and with the last swipe a red x saying registration failed.

The only biometrics device in my device manager is EgisTec ES603, and the driver is 3.0.14.0 (9-15-2011).  The Acer site offers 3.2.13.0 which is dated 11-25-14, but it will not install, telling me that my current driver is more recent (as strange as that sounds).  I tried uninstalling the driver in device manager and then installing the current driver from Acer, but it still gives me that message.  I did not update TPM, and that is the only other thing I can think of that may be related to how the biometric scanner works.  I don't think this is a hardware issue since it reads one finger rather consistently.  I'm a vet, so as long as a dog doesn't bite that off, I should still have biometric access to this system - but I'd really like to register ALL my fingers and perhaps even a couple of toes for backup.  Can anyone help?  I suspect there may be an old data file that I may need to rename or delete.

Lee

Best Answer

• kidziti
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thought I would update this thread and say that it turned out to be a hardware failure. The Acer service center in Texas replaced the scanner and it works much better than it did even new out of the box (so it was likely failing from day one).

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Go to Control panel/Programs and Features, and uninstall your current driver, reboot and install the new driver.

• kidziti
    Options

I tried that - several times, in fact.  I suspect there is some kind of cache or data file somewhere that I need to either delete or disable by renaming an extension.

• kidziti
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thought I would update this thread and say that it turned out to be a hardware failure. The Acer service center in Texas replaced the scanner and it works much better than it did even new out of the box (so it was likely failing from day one).
  • philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Glad to hear you got it fixed.