Acer TMP 255-M-6432

Options
RShea
RShea Member Posts: 3 New User

Have a Acer Travelmate P250 series laptop here that has had a number of times where it boots into Windows (has hapened on Windows 8 and 10 both) and is on the Windows password screen (will take the enter key to get that far). Can't enter the password in the box- internal keyboard, external USB keyboard- wireless or wired both were tested, nothing, cursor is in the box blinking.  Mouse moves around with either the touch pad (which is now disabled in the control panel so the user can use exclusively an external USB mouse). Did finally get into the Bios and did a factory default load. Still no keyboard entry. This has happened at least 4 different times and all the suggestions Acer support provided did not help immediately. It has happened at least 4 times, but eventually the unit will start to work and allow the keyboard use. Let it sit for a few days and so far seems to start working again.

I am going to try some more things, but anyone ever see this type of thing. Not sure it is hardware or the Windows at this point. I have also tried a Live CD

Last time once it started working again after it acted up, I flash the bios with a newer version (now at 2.17), then try some more things in Windows. At first thought it was just Windows version, but the system is now on 10 Pro and it happened. Many times it happens while on the road traveling and of course it is the only computer to be able to work on. I tried to do F8 and other function keys when it would not work, even F2 to get  boot option and a few other things- but it would not take.  But not sure if it was just lucky that the problem went away or if it was some sort of software issue at that time. Outside of the new warranty but the unit is less than 2 years old. It happened right after the 1 year warranty was out for the first time and has reoccured as I stated 3 more times.

Can't believe it to just be the keyboard or connection cable if external USB keyboard also doesn't work either?

Anyone else run into this type of issue?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

sometimes happen that you are not able to enter your password at windows log on, so try this at password request:
    On the bottom, right side you should have 3 icons.
    Click on the middle one (ease of access).
    Now find and click on the "on screen keyboard".
    A keyboard will come up on your screen.
    Enter your password by clicking your mouse on each letter or number, click enter
    check it you are able to enter your account

then check you system and keyboard language

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • RShea
    RShea Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Thanks for the further suggestion- at least if it happens again it is a temporary work around and once in Windows can test to see if the keyboard works again within applications. There is a few discussions about removing the battery (if it coming out of sleep mode???) and only running the system on AC power adapter.

This unit also is not the easiest battery to remove. I assume the lock is the little pencil/pen button on back right half that has to be pushed down then attempt to slide the battery off the back of the unit?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

RShea wrote:

This unit also is not the easiest battery to remove. I assume the lock is the little pencil/pen button on back right half that has to be pushed down then attempt to slide the battery off the back of the unit?

yes, you need to unlock it to slide the battery.

I'm not an Acer employee.