Acer Empowering Technology Framework

Options
GeoffB
GeoffB Member Posts: 3 New User

Reformatted an Acer Travelmate 4220 forgetting about their wonderful (!) AETF. Now, I need to reinstall from scratch unless the Hidden Partition is still there but hiding. Any suggestions welcome. I know I am dumb for doing what I did by the way.

Geoff

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi Geoff

Not sure what you're saying.

Did you "reformat" by removing the disk, attaching it to another PC to format it or do you simply mean you've reinstalled Windows?

If the recovery partition is still present, restart your laptop & as soon as you see the Acer Splash screen/logo, press Ctrl+F10. This starts the built in recovery program that will re-install Windows on your Travelmate.

If you've deleted the recovery partition, then you'll need recovery disks, although, your Laptop is an older model, so I'm not sure if they'd still be available. Contact Customer Services to find out.

• finlux
    Options

Just for the record: I meant ALT + F10!

• GeoffB
    Options

Re: Acer Travelmate 4220. I forgot about Acers peculiar setup process and reformatted the disk without removing it. I have tried the AltF10 several times but I think I must have wiped the installation sector.

Acer don't appear to have a download file to either run or as an iso (why not?). It would be good to get an iso so if you know anybody who can Dropbox me one say it would solve the problem I doing this as a favour for my local club.

Thanks for your time

Geoff

• finlux
    Options

Hi Geoff

Yes, it sounds like you have erased the recovery partition!

As the Travelmate 4220, is quite an old model now, check the link in my first post to see if Customer services can supply you with the original disks - although I'd be surprised!

• GeoffB
    Options

Hi - I have tried to access the Acer Downloads and Help but in both instances they ask me if it is about an Acer already owned so i say yes and then I am asked for either a S/N or SNID. In both cases and trying both codes I get a message that it is not recognised. Hence, I get stuck at that point.

Just out of interest, the said codes are:

S/N: [edited to comply with guidelines]

SNID: [edited to comply with guidelines]

So, I can't access Customer Help which is frustrating.

I am trying to save money for my little club as they have none.

• finlux
    Options

Perhaps's it's because of it's age (and the fact it is no longer supported) may be the reason for that, Geoff!

I can only suggest 3 things:

1. I'm assuming it had Windows XP on it? If you can find an exact copy online or perhaps from a friend (IE Professional or Home Edition) you can use that to install Windows. You will need to use the product key on shown on the base of your laptop, unless the disk comes with its own. You will also need to download & save the drivers beforehand from Acer's driver site.

2. Download & install a Linux distro, I'd recommend the free Mint or Puppy Linux, but there are others like the popular Ubuntu. These usually come with an Office clone. The only problem that may arise is if you use a specific piece of software, it may not be available in Linux.

3. If none of the above is possible, then perhaps a cheap second hand laptop (Acer of course!) from the likes of "Cash Converter"s etc may be the only way!