windows 10 recovery disk on cd-rom doesn't boot

SRD1
SRD1 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I need to use a Windows 10 recovery disk on a Acer Travelmate 5740.

I've got a working Windows 10 64-bit desktop PC which I've created two recovery disks onto CD-ROM.

In both cases, the CD-ROM disks do not boot into a recovery environment on either the desktop or the Acer Travelmate 5740.

Each time, the Windows 10 logo will display, but nothing else happens.

I've been told I need to disable UEFI mode, but can't find this in the BIOS, and the system information displays too quickly during preboot to read properly.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

i strongly suggest you to have an USB flash drive to create a bootable windows 10 media (recovery too)

Probably your Desktop is newer than your Travelmate, so your CD-roms were created using UEFI but your Travelmate is Legacy BIOS.

i suggest you to download windows 10 from microsoft servers (iso format)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

and then use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

set it as Legacy BIOS on partition scheme and FAT32 as format

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • SRD1

Thanks IronFly.

I've done that, and after the laptop boots from the USB thumb drive, the same thing happens - it reaches the Windows 10 logo, and then nothing else happens.

The reason I need the Windows 10 recovery disk is because I replaced a HDD with an SSD. I cloned the HDD to the SDD using EaseUs ToDo Backup Workstation.

After this change was made, the laptop would reach the Windows 10 logo booting from the SSD, and then reboot. After a couple of occurances, the laptop would go into startup recovery, where the display would go mental, looking like the screen had broken - the graphics were cut up into little blocks. Using an external monitor shifted the problem to the monitor.

So, original problem is the laptop will not boot from SSD, and the subsequent problem is that the laptop will not boot from recovery media.

Help appreciated.

• IronFly

if you still have the original HDD, can you please put it back and check if you are able to boot without issues?

• SRD1

Replacing the original HDD did not allow the laptop to boot.

If I removed the new piece of RAM I had inserted, and replaced it with the original RAM, the machine would boot from the original HDD.

If I replace the HDD with the SDD, I receive an error no boot device detected.

BIOS showed I had changed the HDD mode to IDE. I changed it back to AHCI mode, saved changes, but the laptop still detected no boot device.

• IronFly

ok, so the main issue is a wrong ram module and you find it.

about no bootable device on SSD:

1) which is the first bootable device?

2) can be a missing MBR or partition mismatch during cloning

3) incompatibility between chipset and SSD controller

• SRD1

Thanks IronFly

The machine is an Acer Travelmate 5740 Series.

The SSD is a Western Digital Green model.

• IronFly

probably MBR is missing or corrupted

try to clone it again or do a windows 10 clean installation on SSD.

by the way, if it still not work, can be a sort of incompatibility between SSD and chipset controllers

• SRD1

How will I know if it is an incompatibility between SSD and chipset controllers?

Also, if I set HDD mode to IDE once, will that damage the SSD?

Thanks.

• IronFly

no IDE mode can't damage your SSD.

about compatbility...it's not easy without knowing the SSD controller brand; you need to be lucky to find someone else with your issue too.

• richardpohl
    richardpohl Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi, so installing Windows 10 64bit is possible on this laptop? What about the drivers? Could there be any issue after the upgrade?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    The TravelMate 740 originally came with either 32 or 64 bit Windows, depending on the SKU. If running the 64 bit version you could upgrade to 8GB of memory. With the 32 bit version it didn't make sense to go beyond 4GB.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.