Travelmate B113-M BIOS version is newer than available downloads

dibanders
dibanders Member Posts: 6 New User

I have an Acer Travelmate B113-M. My BIOS has gone bad and is stuck at loading screen with Press <F2> to enter Setup. F2 does nothing, but pressing ESC key gives me more information.

Insyde H2O EFI 3.7
Coyright (c) 1983-2012 Insyde H2O Technologies Ltd..
All Rights Reserved
This BIOS is exclusively for Acer only
Copyright 2002-2012 by Acer Inc.

System BIOS Version: V2.22
System Memory Speed: 1600 MHz
Processor Type : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz

I tried flashing the BIOS from the downloads at acer.com website, but the latest BIOS available is V2.21!! How is it possible the BIOS I have is newer than the latest one?

Best Answer

• dibanders
    Answer ✓

solved

ACER has actually loaded the same version of the BIOS i have (2.22) last 03/12/2015

it still does not flash though =( laptop still bricked

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

I doubt if the problem is a bad bios. What loading screen is it stuck at, Loading Windows? Is it going to a black screen and is there any other info?

• dibanders

thanks for the reply. its a black screen with the words below "Press to enter setup."

When pressing F2, it becomes black screen only. Pressing ESC gives more info such as the BIOS version I posted.

I'm quite convinced it is a BIOS problem as I'm not able to get past the initial screen.

• dibanders

I tried flashing the BIOS using Fn + Esc keys during power up and putting bios.fd file inside USB. It reads for around half a minute then beeps 3 times and restarts. I'm guessing it means the BIOS file is invalid.

My BIOS is currently version 2.22 and I'm trying to flash it to 2.21. Would that matter?

• dibanders

here is a picture of my BIOS version (2.22):

IMG_20150304_212209988.jpg

and the BIOS downloads from Acer's website (2.21) !!

2.21.png

How come Acer is not giving the latest versions?

I tried flashing with the 2.21 during boot using Fn+Esc and it gives me 3 beeps. I'm thinking it might be due to the version being lower.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

There is a Acer Insyde Bios version 2.22. It is for some V3s, V5s, ans E5s. I can't see any way you could have 2.22 unless someone installed it or something changed your version number and I can't find any instance of that happening.

If your Bios is not set toUEFI you won't be able to flash v2.21. You should probably try v1.09, but I think you're going to have to change your motherboard.

• dibanders
    thank you for your help

i actually found the same model in the store and checked BIOS on it to be sure, and its 2.22 as well.

i tried flashing 2.21 and 1.09 and it gives me 3 beeps if there is bios.fd file on the USB. so I'm pretty sure its detecting the file and trying to read it.

I'm thinking the BIOS file is not compatible thats why it doesn't flash.

changing motherboard is not an option for me as the service center is charging me around the same price for the laptop.

I'm thinking of buying another unit and backing up the BIOS on that unit to flash on my bricked one.
  • dibanders
    Answer ✓

solved

ACER has actually loaded the same version of the BIOS i have (2.22) last 03/12/2015

it still does not flash though =( laptop still bricked