Travelmate B113-E orange light blinks and thoug full battery does not work without AC

Ira993
Ira993 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

My laptop started shutting off on 60% battery charge, no warning. Ran a battery report: capacity down to 27 (was 55).

I tried to take out battery and run laptop on AC alone, but no option; it will only work when battery is in.

Since yesterday the orange charger light is flashing on AC and though battery is fully charged, the laptop turns off as soon as I take it off AC. Laptop won't run on battery alone.

Tried the battery reset button, did the F2/F9/F10 (which meant laptop would not boot, could not find a device), and tried uninstalling the battery-Microsoft APCI-adapter and reinstalling it.

But light is still blinking and laptop still not running on battery.

Any ideas if it is the battery that needs replacing or another hardware issue?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

can you please check your BIOS version?

windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

check BIOS DATE/Version

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Ira993

BIOS version:  Acer V2.17

Date:   22/3/2013

• Ira993

have upgraded to Windows 10 a year ago, can I still upgrade BIOS?

• IronFly

windows 10 upgrade and BIOS updates are not related, so...yes you can update it.

• Ira993
    did that, blinking stopped during reboot, but i only get to boot manager, with boot/option/menu and do not know how to pass that screen
  • Ira993
  • Ira993

actually got to acer screen, then it said 'no bootable device. hit any key'. Only option 'ok' gets me to boot manager, where I have no possibilities to get to any options.

Ctrl/Alt/Delete took me back to Acer screen, pressed F2, then changed the UEFI to Legacy BIOS, and laptop rebooted. Is now on V2.22, but light is still blinking..

• IronFly

try a battery reset and if it's still blinking, i think your battery has some bad module or controller, so it needs to be serviced (hoping it's not a motherboard issue)

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

• Ira993

tried and failed. Also tried another adapter, same result. Had ordered a new battery last week, before the blinking started. Will wait till that arrives, fingers crossed that is the solution and if not..motherboard it is. Thx for your help!

• Ira993

So put the new battery in and laptop started. Was draining the battery (as instructed), but shut off unexpectedly at 25%.

Charged completely (+few hours extra), then tried draining again while looking at processes that were using high CPU. Find out that SearchUI.exe was ridiculously active, even though I do not use Cortana. Ended the process a few times, tried to rename the folder but did not succed (could not find all the processes in use).

Vacuumed the outside of the laptop, coz I thought it might have something to do with dust affecting ventilation (did not dare to open). Did cleanmgr (got rid of TB of Windows Updates), scannow & scanhealth (both clean) and it seems that finally my laptop is acting normal again Smiley Happy

Thank you for your help, really appreciated!

• IronFly

good to hear it.