TravelMate 5730 will not power up

Options
Angoid
Angoid Member Posts: 11 New User

Some time ago, I was given an Acer TravelMate 5730 which I use as a backup machine (it still has XP on it which is not a problem as I don't connect it to the Internet).

Recently, it has started playing up in that it can be a problem to get it to power up.
That is, you press the power button and nothing happens.

I thought it was a static build-up problem, but the problem has gone from being temperamental to being permanent.

I've Googled this to death and seen all the usual articles:
*) Take the battery out, try again, put battery back in
*) Press power button for 45 seconds
*) Press power button 79 times, wait, try again, repeat until too late to keep at it (seriously!)

Although these things appear to have worked for others, they don't for me.

The battery is good (not totally dead).

If I press the power button 5 or more times in quick succession, the battery light blinks 5 times and then nothing happens.

Another article I read online suggested that the RTC battery might be dead, so I set to work to open it up .... can't find where the CMOS batery is at all, must be the other side of the MOBO and I don't have the tools to get that far.

So please don't suggest plugging it in, powering it up, trying again with the battery out, with the battery in but not plugged in ... believe me, I've tried all those numerous times in every combination and then some.

Is it worth taking this to a shop to get it fixed or is it likely to be toast?

Thanks!

Edit: This is the sort of thing I'm not looking for as I've done all this:

https://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4/~/what-can-i-do-if-my-computer-does-not-power-on%3F

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

If it's an old Windows XP computer, it's not worth spending a dime on in my opinion.  I think you need to ask Santa for new computer.  Smiley Happy

I'm not an Acer employee.