RAM upgrade Acer Travelmate P256-M

Options
Herbie
Herbie Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives
Hi newbie here so please be gentle!
I've got a recently purchased Acer Travelmate P256-M for music production and wish to upgrade the RAM from 4Gb to 8 Gb. I have purchased the relevant stick of RAM but when I came to install it I realised there was no obvious inspection cover on the base of the laptop to access the RAM slots. Pretty sure I wouldn't have to dismantle the whole laptop to do this upgrade but can't find a "how to" anywhere - any help appreciated please ????

Best Answer

• Herbie
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks - I think this is the answer. I posed the question with Acer support who have replied

"We neither recommend to open the case of the laptop.

If you wish to open the case of the laptop and I request you to contact a local computer technician for more assistance.

Note: For opening the case can impact the warranty of your product."

Which is a pain. I will speak to a local computer tech for guidance as it will be beyond my ability and I don't want to screw up the computer!

Thanks for your help, philetus, it's much appreciated

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

You don't have any kind of removable cover in the bottom of the laptop? Model numbers before and after yours do.

• Herbie
    Options
    No nothing; it's bizarre, none of the usual "inspection hatches" ..!
  • philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

There's a slim chance that the whole bottom would easily come off and give you access to the ram, but I think this is one of the models that have hardware connected to the bottom from the top and you have to bore down from the top and remove the motherboard because the ram is on the underside of it.

• Herbie
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks - I think this is the answer. I posed the question with Acer support who have replied

"We neither recommend to open the case of the laptop.

If you wish to open the case of the laptop and I request you to contact a local computer technician for more assistance.

Note: For opening the case can impact the warranty of your product."

Which is a pain. I will speak to a local computer tech for guidance as it will be beyond my ability and I don't want to screw up the computer!

Thanks for your help, philetus, it's much appreciated