ProDock II Power Requirements

Options
kidziti
kidziti Member Posts: 26 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives
I have a question about the ProDock II (model NP.DCK11.00Q) for use with a TravelMate P645 notebook PC. The ProDock specifications state that it requires a 90 Watt power supply to operate properly. The power adapter that comes with the P645 is 65 Watts. Looking at all the description and images I could find of the ProDock, none show or even suggest such a power adapter as being included with the dock. Furthermore, Acer does not apparently sell a separate 90 watt power supply for this dock - only 65 watt adapters such as the one I currently have. So if I purchase the ProDock II, will I need to start hunting around for some non-OEM 90 Watt power supply with a specific barrel-pin connector?

Best Answer

• kidziti
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you all.  I am happy to report that the ProDock II DOES include the 90 Watt power supply as I had hoped, and as the responses in this thread have suggested.  The factory-sealed box had dedicated compartments for each component, including the dock, the 2-part power adapter, and a manual.

The adapter closely resembles the one that came with the TravelMate (both are made by Chicony), although the segment that connects to the dock has a slightly thicker cord and the transformer feels heavier.  The power supply does in fact indicate a 90 Watt output, so one would likely not want to confuse this with the TravelMate adapter in case plugging this one directly into the laptop might damage it.  On the other hand, the barrel plugs may be slightly different and effectively disallow that from happening.  I did not verify that detail, however, before posting this.

I promised to report back to the thread about this, hence this post.  Thanks again to all who responded.  It is worth mentioning that the dock is set up and functions well.  It definitely seems a worthwhile investment as a quick home-base for those travelling TravelMates.  I can dedicate home peripherals including mouse, keyboard and usb speakers, and best of all - I don't have to mess with plugging and unplugging and packing and unpacking that danged power adapter any more Smiley Happy

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

This is a different model than yours, but it specifies a Three-pin 90W AC adapter is included. 

http://www.radioshack.com/acer-lc-dck0a-005-prodock-docking-station/55070497.html#.VJZLm14AVI

If you look at this one, it stresses that the security cable is sold (cable lock sold separately), but doesn't say that for the Power Supply.

http://biz.tigerdirect.com/p/computer-accessories/laptop_accessories/docking-stations/acer-prodock-ii-port-replicator

• kidziti
    Options

Thanks, Philetus.  I placed an order this evening (with vendor ProVantage).  I guess I'll know for sure when it gets here and will try to remember to post back the results.  So strange that Acer's own product description states that a 90W power adapter is required for full functionaility yet does not mention - even parenthetically - if it is or is not included.

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello kidziti,

NP.DCK11.00Q - PRODOCK II WITH 90W AC ADAPTOR US POWER CORD

France
  • kidziti
    Options

Thanks, Laurent!  My Google searches and the Acer search box did not yield this information (or I missed it somehow).  Do you have a link/source?

• laurent_14
    Options

I'm 100% sure. Smiley Wink

France
  • laurent_14
    Options

@kidzitiNP.DCK11.00N - ProDock II french version

Alimentation électrique : bloc secteur 3 br. 90 W (inclus dans la livraison):

Power supply: AC adapter 3 pins 90W (inlcuded in the delivery)

Livraison sans cordon d'alimentation:

Delivery without power cord

France
  • kidziti
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you all.  I am happy to report that the ProDock II DOES include the 90 Watt power supply as I had hoped, and as the responses in this thread have suggested.  The factory-sealed box had dedicated compartments for each component, including the dock, the 2-part power adapter, and a manual.

The adapter closely resembles the one that came with the TravelMate (both are made by Chicony), although the segment that connects to the dock has a slightly thicker cord and the transformer feels heavier.  The power supply does in fact indicate a 90 Watt output, so one would likely not want to confuse this with the TravelMate adapter in case plugging this one directly into the laptop might damage it.  On the other hand, the barrel plugs may be slightly different and effectively disallow that from happening.  I did not verify that detail, however, before posting this.

I promised to report back to the thread about this, hence this post.  Thanks again to all who responded.  It is worth mentioning that the dock is set up and functions well.  It definitely seems a worthwhile investment as a quick home-base for those travelling TravelMates.  I can dedicate home peripherals including mouse, keyboard and usb speakers, and best of all - I don't have to mess with plugging and unplugging and packing and unpacking that danged power adapter any more Smiley Happy

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello kidziti,

Thanks for your feedback.

France