No Bootable Device. Hit any key. Acer B113 model V1VCC

darkman088
darkman088 Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello, please help me, I have a very complex problem!

Yesterday, my Acer B113 worked just fine the whole day. Then I shut it down cleanly, everything was

just normal. I went out for a couple of hours and when I came back in the night, I turned it on and it

welcomed me with a VERY NICE blue label - No bootable device. Hit any key.

I went into the BIOS - the hard drive was shown there. Still, at that time, I assumed that it's waving

goodbye, which can happen after 3.5 years...

I immediately went to my older Acer laptop and created a bootable Hiren's tools USB stick. It did the

same thing !!! No bootable device. And I tested it and it worked on my older laptop.

I assumed, that there might be some compatibility issue, I didn't recall on which laptop had I tried

Hiren's tools. So I went ahead and formatted that USB once more and put the Windows 7 installation

on it. In any case - this is how I installed it after purchasing the laptop! Tried the USB stick on the

older laptop - it boots!! Tried on the B113 - No bootable device !!!

I went through all the BIOS options - what I found very very strange is, that the option Boot priority

order is written with black letters, it's not possible to choose it and it doesn't have nothing listed

next to it. Regardless if I have anything plugged into USB or not.

I removed the batter and the hard drive - tried only with the Windows 7 USB stick - No bootable device.

I left the laptop for the whole night without a hard drive and without the battery. This morning the

situation didn't change! When I go into the boot menu (F12), it's completely empty, even though I

have the bootable USB there !!! So, probably it's not a defect hard drive, but the whole laptop is

defetcive, which is the much worse case !!!!!

Is probably the BIOS somehow damaged ? I would try to flash it, but how ??? When it's not booting

even from the USB stick ???

PLEASE HELP ME !!! I am TOTALLY desperate !!! Thanks...

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

can you please report the BIOS version on your laptop?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • darkman088

Hello and many thanks for your reply.

The BIOS is just the latest one. I updated it a couple of months ago in the course of trying to

stuff the laptop with 32 GB RAM. Unfortunately, this failed miserably :-(

If you want, I'll find the exact version and post it here... Thank you!

• IronFly

which was the factory windows OS version?

i need to know it to understand if your laptop has EFI or Legacy BIOS.

• darkman088

Hello,

I am not 100% sure, but I think, that the laptop came either without an OS, or with Linux.

I think that it supports EFI, because I have an option from the BIOS setup to choose between

UEFI or legeacy boot mode and I have it in legacy mode (for Windows 7).

Anyway, it seems that something is wrong, when it doesn't even boot from an USB stick.

The question is if it's possible to tell if it's easy to repair (like flash another BIOS, if my

BIOS got corrupted) or the entire mainboard will have to be replaced, which will cost a lot :-(

• IronFly

have you tried both USB 2.0 ports?

have you tried with another USB flash drive?

if the boot issue is still there, i suspect a motherboard issue, like chipset or data bus controller; normally BIOS corrupted doesn't arise these kind of issues to be honest.

• darkman088

I had been asking myself the same questions...

I tried one USB 2.0 port (the other one doesn't work very well, so I'm trying to not use it at all) and also the USB 3.0 port.

I have also tried another USB flash pen. All without any success :-(

Furthermore, a friend of mine borrowed me a disk enclosure, so I connected the hard drive to my other laptop and all

the files are there, everything seems to be fine with the disk.

I did a chkdsk on the system drive (CSmiley Happy (without surface scan) and it came back without a single error :-(

And I was hoping sooooo much that the drive is defective - I saw that there are 2 TB hybrid drives with 7mm hight

for a little more than 100 EUR - would've been an excellent upgrade !!!

Please kindly let me know if I have a chance for not so expensive repair as the motherboard (they said around 400 EUR!!!) Which is A LOOOOOOOT !!!!!!!!!!!!

• IronFly

honestly, the only way to change motherboard without spending 400€ is to search on Ebay.

i can't suggest other ways.

• darkman088

Yes, I might have a look... But this will be used part with the same age.

So it might wave goodbye soon as well !!

Could it be that the problem is somewhere else, but in the mainboard ?

Something that's not so expensive to repair/replace ?

• IronFly

only a tech with some electronic testing devices can tell you.