Linux Travelmate B113

Options
KimLudvigsen
KimLudvigsen Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I have just bought a Travelmate B113-E with Windows 8. I am trying to install Linux. I managed to boot on a USB drive by choosing to do so from inside Windows, and I managed to resize the partition and install Linux Mint. But I do not get a boot manager when booting, instead I am booting directly into Windows 8. What do I need to do?

Best Answer

• KimLudvigsen
    Answer ✓
    Options

That's typical. After a couple of hours trying to install and boot, I finally managed to get into the BIOS where I could choose to boot Linux Mint (Ubuntu). The first many times I chose to reboot and then pressing F2, nothing happened and I ended up in Windows 8. This time I chose to turn off the computer, and then turn it on while pressing F2 , and now I could get into the BIOS.

Anyone thinking about buying this computer, be prepared that it is extremely slow with Windows 8. Much slower than my 4 year old Atom-driven Samsung NC 10 with Windows XP. Hopefully the Travelmate will be less slow with Linux, looks better so far.

Answers

• KimLudvigsen
    Answer ✓
    Options

That's typical. After a couple of hours trying to install and boot, I finally managed to get into the BIOS where I could choose to boot Linux Mint (Ubuntu). The first many times I chose to reboot and then pressing F2, nothing happened and I ended up in Windows 8. This time I chose to turn off the computer, and then turn it on while pressing F2 , and now I could get into the BIOS.

Anyone thinking about buying this computer, be prepared that it is extremely slow with Windows 8. Much slower than my 4 year old Atom-driven Samsung NC 10 with Windows XP. Hopefully the Travelmate will be less slow with Linux, looks better so far.