Changed BIOS boot settings - Black screen. [TravelMate P453-M]

Options
AliAbela
AliAbela Member Posts: 4 New User

Laptop still under warranty.

I recently had a motherboard and HDD replacement.

I wanted to install Windows myself, but the BIOS was set to UEFI, and I couldn't seem to boot off of a USB drive.

So I switched it to Legacy, booted from the pendrive, and installed Windows just fine.

For whatever stupid reason, I went back to try and change the setting to UEFI.

Now the laptop switches on, but refuses to boot. I get a black screen, with no logo or any prompt whatsoever to access the BIOS. 

I read a bit and seems I need to remove the BIOS battery, let the memory clear itself to reset BIOS settings to default, and try again?

If it matters, I re-installed Windows 7 64-bit.

Any help would be appreciated!

Best Answer

• AliAbela
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ah, I solved the issue! Created a bootable UEFI enabled USB drive with a GPT partition, using the Rufus software. And it booted from it just fine.

Thank you, my Lord and Savior Google.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Can you get back into bios by hitting F2 at boot.If you wait until you see the prompt, you will probably be too late. As soon as you push power start rapidly tapping F2. Change back to Legacy.

• AliAbela
    Options

No, that doesn't work. Literally all I'm getting is a black screen, with no BIOS logo or the white text at the bottom describing how to access BIOS settings or boot order.

• AliAbela
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ah, I solved the issue! Created a bootable UEFI enabled USB drive with a GPT partition, using the Rufus software. And it booted from it just fine.

Thank you, my Lord and Savior Google.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Glad you were able to fix it.

• drfischer2k
    drfischer2k Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

Is there any way you could describe the instructions on what you did?  I would like to try that as its my last resort.

• AliAbela
    Options

Certainly! Did you do something akin to what I did, and now you can't boot into Windows or access the BIOS in anyway?

What I did was, I used this little third party tool called Rufus to create a bootable USB drive with Windows 7. It won't work with the standard USB tool that you can download from the Microsoft website, since it doesn't have the necessary options.

Under the 'Partition Scheme' menu, select 'GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer'. Very important.

Then point the software to the ISO file, and let it do its thing.

Your device should then be able to recognise the USB drive as a bootable option, and you can proceed to format and re-install Windows from there.

• drfischer2k
    drfischer2k Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

No, mine just went black one day.  I hit the power button and and fan kicks in, DVD drive works, I can hear the hard drive 'spin'....but nothing comes up on screen.  I just replaced the motherboard thinking something was wrong with it...but still nothing.  Replaced the RAM...nothing.  I have connected an external monitor to it as well as an HDMI source.....NOTHING.  I can NOT for the life of me figure out what could be wrong.  I am trying everything