Acer Travelmate p633 ms2362 legacy boot, but no secure boot in BIOS.

globetrotterdk
globetrotterdk Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I am trying to install an OS that works best when the BIOS is set to legacy boot and secure boot is disabled. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be an item where I can disable secure boot, and despite having set the BIOS to legacy boot, UEFI seems to still be active. What else can I do to disable UEFI? I have an Acer Travelmate p633 ms2362 laptop.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Secure boot option is available only when BIOS is set to UEFI

Legacy doesn't have that option.

Why do you think UEFI is still enable if your set BIOS to Legacy?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • globetrotterdk

Tinkerer

Thank you for the quick reply. As you stated, UEFI has to be active before before secure boot can be disabled. Both secure boot and UEFI are now disabled, however the OS installers (plural) continue to treat my Travelmate laptop as if EFI/UEFI is active. This is the case for for a number of OS versions, that all have different installers, so something with the laptop is still making the installers think that UEFI is still active.

• IronFly

what are you trying to install?

which kind of errors or message are you getting from installers?

Be aware that if your HDD is using GPT, you can't install Legacy OS but you must wipe the HDD and convert it to MBR.

• globetrotterdk

Tinkerer

I am trying to install Slackware Linux. I have also tried Debian and get the same problem. I have converted the disk to legacy (GPT -> MBR) and everything worked fine (no error messages). The error (of sorts) is that the installers tell me that it appears the computer is running in EFI/UEFI mode and refuse to continue unless I partition the drive in GPT format.

• IronFly

sorry, maybe i didn't understand but do you successfully installed after converting to MBR?

• globetrotterdk

Tinkerer

no. Never installed. I don't want to have to go back to GPT.

• IronFly

ok, i understand, can be a BIOS issue.

By the way, all the distro you are mentioning are UEFI compatible, so my question is: how did you burn the iso files?

• globetrotterdk

Tinkerer

I burned the .iso files to DVDs on another computer.

• IronFly

honestly i don't understand why you are trying to install Slackware under legacy instead of UEFI, since the 64 bit version has native UEFI support.

• globetrotterdk

Tinkerer

Last time I tried to install in UEFI mode was on a Lenovo computer with UEFI. It was a complete nightmare, took two days, filled a complete thread on the Debian forum, and the only way I resolved the problem in the end was by figuring out how to get the box to boot into legacy mode :-(

• IronFly

please, try to install under UEFI and disable secure boot, remember to revert to GPT.

I don't have experience on Debian but from time to time, i install Ubuntu x64; since i start from a windows OS, i use Rufus to burn the iso file to an USB flash drive.

Normally i choose:

GPT partition scheme for EFI BIOS

FAT32 Format

http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US