Acer Travelmate 7750G totally freezes using Windows or Linux (dual boot). Need help please.

man23p
man23p Member Posts: 6 New User

The problem is that the machine completely freezes for no apparent reason, on all the operating systems I have tried.  By 'freezes', I mean there is no reaction to mouse movement, keyboard presses and power button pressed off.  The freeze seems to be at a random time and can happen even when the system is idle.

The Acer Travelmate 7750G laptop came pre-installed with Windows 7 and it kept freezing.  The machine was upgraded to Windows 8, 8.1, 10, then dual boot with Linux Mint 17.3.  The machine froze on all the operating systems.  I have software tested the hard drive, memory, CPU, GPU and they have all passed fine.  Is there anybody who has knowledge of how to resolve or further trouble-shoot this please?

Best Answer

• man23p
    Answer ✓

SOLVED - I installed a replacement hard drive in Dec 2015 and the Travelmate 7750G laptop works perfectly since.  Cost me hardly anything compaired to the price of the laptop.  No freezing, crashing or anything else!

Thank you very much for your help.

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi man23p

You could try (if you have a decent one lying around) a replacement HDD. I have previously tested one on a desktop that had issues, but the drive when tested showed no errors. On replacing it, it solved the problem.

Since you've reinstalled various Windows/Linux editions & tested various hardware & the problem still exists, then it will either be the mobo or the CPU.

From past experience, CPU's these days rarely fail - motherboard failure is more common. So you may like to have it checked out by a pc engineer just to verify, but I don't think there will be much you can do, unless you're lucky enough to find a second hand one.

• man23p

Thanks for your reply.  I have not made any hardware changes due to not having the parts required.  One thing I forgot to mention is that the machine has very gradually been freezing more frequently, from once every few months to a few times a day (running Win 10 or Mint).   Does this narrow down the cause of the problem and further?

• finlux

Well, it just confirms to me that it is a hardware error - either your HDD or motherboard is at fault.

• man23p

Just had a thought, not having a spare HDD.  If I was to run the machine using a Linux Mint live CD or on USB stick, do you think this would this eliminate the HDD and so if the machine freezing in a similar fashion, pinpoint the fault to the motherboard?

• finlux
    Yes it is should do.

If it works flawlessly then it is almost certainly the HDD. If it still freezes, then it'll be the mobo.

Let us know how you get on!
  • man23p
    Answer ✓

SOLVED - I installed a replacement hard drive in Dec 2015 and the Travelmate 7750G laptop works perfectly since.  Cost me hardly anything compaired to the price of the laptop.  No freezing, crashing or anything else!

Thank you very much for your help.