Acer 5742g overheating issue

Options
Sjooke
Sjooke Member Posts: 15 New User

Hello, 

I have some problems with my 3 and an half year old laptop. When I play games on it, it get so warm that it instantly shuts down. Normally it's around 100 degrees but it sometimes goes up to 103 - 104. I also have an extra cooler, 200 x 200 x 20mm, 850 RPM which doesn't seem to help that much.  My computer usally turns off 2 -3 times a day and that is really annoying and I don't want to damage my computer, and I can't figure out how to fix this.

Hope anyone can help me Smiley Happy

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,138 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

You wrote:

" I cleaned my fan for about a year ago or something, I don't remember exactly."

I clean my fans (desktop and not gamer) twice a year. So...start there!

France

Answers

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

Have you cleaned the laptop fan?

What means 100°C? gpu?

France
  • Sjooke
    Options

Oh right should've included that. I cleaned my fan for about a year ago or something, I don't remember exactly. And I don't know what it is called gpu or cpu etc. but this program says (CPUID HWmonitor) that it's my "Intel Core i5 460M", Core #0 and #2!

• laurent_14
    Options

I use the same program (HWMonitor). When you say 100°, it's in C or F.

CPU is the processor: Intel I5 460M (Temperature maxi is 105°C)

GPU is the graphic processor (the graphic board is showed at the end of HWMonitor)

France
  • Sjooke
    Options

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying that for me, but do you know any solutions to my problem ?

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,138 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

You wrote:

" I cleaned my fan for about a year ago or something, I don't remember exactly."

I clean my fans (desktop and not gamer) twice a year. So...start there!

France
  • laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

You can also try to re-install the Intel chipset driver (often the cause of overheating issues):

Aspire 5742G

TravelMate 5742G

France