windows 8.1 and iconia W3 work well together and easy to install step-by-step

tomnovak
tomnovak Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

due to a big bug in the system and due to the huge problems during and after several re-installations from the original DVD, i decided to try windows 8.1 system. i found some translation bugs in the german version of win 8.1 so i tried the english version which works perfect

first step is to move c:\oem hidden folder to the sd drive, otherwise you are not able to install e.g. office later on

then you download iso image from microsoft site http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-iso

i saved the image also to the sd card because of lack of space on my c: drive

then you click to the iso image and the virtual drive e: will be open. run setup.

choose "nothing" to be left on hard disk and wait about 90 min.

and this is all. at the end you will get a new system installation on your tablet.

btw, in spite of other's earlier experiences, no need of mouse, no problem with wifi or even touchscreen driver.

the office installation file you will find deep in your c:\oem saved folder under setuphomestudentretail.x86.xx-xx where xx means your language version

would be nice to know your experiences

thanks

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

hi..

Thanks for sharing your experiencing with Acer tablet and windows 8.1.

• mdg1879
    mdg1879 Member Posts: 7 New User

Hello.  My experience with W8.1 on my W3 has been mostly pleasant.  I am having issues with my desktop, however.  Sometimes, maybe 80% of the time, once on the dektop, items that I open all line up off center.  For instance, if I open the folder by clicking on the folde icon, the folder opens up as a minimized rectangle on the left side of my screen.  When this happens, the touch function is no longer aligned.  I have to touch around two inches to the right of anyhing in order to access it.  Strange.  Any suggestions???

Matt

• anotherlab
    anotherlab Member Posts: 3 New User

I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 RTM and after I installed the Driver Package from the support page, many of the apps have unreadable text.  It sounds like a video driver problem.  The symptons are identical to a problem reported in the technet forums.

Has anyone else hit this or has a fix?

thanks,
    Chris

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

That happens with some language selections when the base package is for a different language. Try a reinstall with the default language for the package you downloaded, then change to your preferred language after updates have run.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • tomnovak
    tomnovak Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

this unreadibility is a bug of german version  i mentioned in the first article. solved by english package reinstallation.

• anotherlab

I installed the English edition of Windows 8.1 and I didn't see any language choices for the driver package.  How would you select a different language with the driver package?

• jpearn
    jpearn Member Posts: 29

Tinkerer

If you apply the driver package I mentioned over the top of your install of 8.1 from here this will fix the garbled text. Hopefully the Intel Z2760 driver package will be updated by all vendors before 8.1 is out in a couple of weeks . . .

• anotherlab

I just downloaded and installed the driver package that you mentioned.  It displayed a warning that the drivers that were already installed were the same version or newer, I installed anyways.  It had no affect on the problem.  Is there a step that I missed?  You had used the text "If you apply the driver package I mentioned", but I did not see any other message from you regarding this driver.

[Edited]

After rebooting a few times and running Windows update, everything appears to be sorted out.

This discussion has been closed.