W510 Video Hardware Gpu decoding

snoopy1492
snoopy1492 Member Posts: 21

Tinkerer

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if someone found a way to have a working hardware gpu decoding when playing a hd movie?...

If I activate gpu decoding in either Vlc or Mpc-hc I only get weird blocks and the file is unplayable Smiley Sad

The atom can handle low/medium bitrate without hardware decoding but if the bitrate is too high the film is unplayable and the atom struggles at 100% use. That's why I need hardware decoding Smiley Happy

Intel says it's possible that the graphic chip inside the atom can decode 1080p files and I even installed cyberlink power dvd 10 to try because some said it worked and its proprietary hardware decoding works, but other more common (and free) software can't decode the files without those weird blocks... I want my xbmc! :'(

So I don't know if the drivers provided by Acer/Intel are buggy, or if there is any other explanation...

That's why I'm asking here to see if anyone experienced this problem or if anyone found a workaround Smiley Wink

Answers

• snoopy1492
    snoopy1492 Member Posts: 21

Tinkerer

I'll reply to myself, I just found a FREE video player able to use dxva to handle video decoding : Potplayer

I don't know what's wrong with dxva on VLC or Media Player but at least I can play all my mkvs without any problem! Smiley Very Happy

• Liliha
    Liliha Member Posts: 7 New User

Thank you !!

The blocky gpu powered video thing was driving me crazy ... I must have tried 6+ different players only to find they all had the same symptoms.

PotPlayer works wonderfully, and its rich with advanced features, very greatful for your recommendation !

• rouge1
    rouge1 Member Posts: 15 New User

Nice App. Only 10% CPU utilization with 720p video on the W510. Even supports SBS 3D for my other HTPC rig.

• frankbeetz
    frankbeetz Member Posts: 6 New User

Media Player Classic will also use hardware acceleration if you do this:

1. Start MPC and go to View --> Options -->External Filters

2. Click on "Add Filters" and select "Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder"

3. Click on "Prefer"

4. Restart MPC with a 1080p file and enjoy hardware accelerated video with CPU less than 10%.

This discussion has been closed.