K11 projector suddenly dim.

Options
aeusoes1
aeusoes1 Member Posts: 4 New User

I've had the Acer K11 LED projector since October 2011.  In the time that I've had it, it's worked perfectly with no major problems until this weekend when I turned it on and the projection was considerably dimmer.  I'm sure that it's the projector itself and not its source.  I can't think of what the problem could be, much less how to fix it.  I don't imagine it's the bulb itself, since I get the impression that there would have been a warning light of some sort.  Can anyone help with this?  It would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• aeusoes1
    Options

Okay, I haven't found a way to fix the projector; I took it to a couple places and none of them could identify what the problem is or how to fix it.  So I'm in the process of purchasing a new one and, as I was researching it, I found a little tidbit in the user manual of a related projector:

"do not place the projector in...locations where excessive humidity, dust, or cigarette smoke may contaminate optical components, shortening the lifespan and darkening the image"

This could be key to understanding the root of the problem.  I live in Mississippi and, at the time the projector began malfunctioning, was using my air conditioner as little as possible.  The evening before the Great Dimming (as I like to call it), there were two people over (my landlord and his daughter) and I didn't think to adjust the temperature until they'd already left.  The projector was running at the time (I was trying to impress them).  A hot, humid day with three people in the room could probably provide excessive heat humidity that would darken the image. 

So, for anyone else with this problem, it's probably too late for you.

• The_Nephilim
    The_Nephilim Member Posts: 53 New User
    Options

Hi How many hours on the Bulb?? you can find out in the Projectors Menu.. What is the rated Bulb life on the Projector.. Probally just end of bulb life normal wear as these things dim after some time..

• aeusoes1
    Options

I don't recall the exact bulb life stated on the box, but I know it is well above my usage.  I figured out at one point that I would need to have had the projector on 24 hours a day for over three years before reaching the stated bulb life. 

I didn't see anything about a bulb life on the menu.  I'll try to find it the next time I turn it on and, hopefully, I'll be able to read the menu items.

• Dsurian
    Dsurian Member Posts: 63 Troubleshooter
    Options

Not sure where you read that or how accurate it could be, but you must be mistaken - I've NEVER heard of a bulb able to last that long. The highest projected lifespan I've heard is 5000hr, and the most common I've heard (including mine) is ~2500hr. Bulbs usually don't even reach this - if memory serves, I think my first one popped at 2100hr.  There's ~8750hr. to a year...and you're saying your bulb lasts 3? - sorry, but that's just...impossible.

Likely the humidity during that one particular day stressed it more than usual...prevented it from cooling as well as it normally does. Either way, a bulb lasting 2 years (assuming you used it often - which, with a new projector, who wouldn't?) is pretty good. I'd certainly suggest replacing the bulb, especially before buying a whole new projector...

• aeusoes1
    Options

You might want to write the better business bureau then, because it says in big bold letters on the box that the LED life is 30,000 hours.  It also says that in promotional materials around the internet.  I've already gotten a new projector (from AAXA) and its LED bulb life is projected to be 19,000 hours.

• Dsurian
    Dsurian Member Posts: 63 Troubleshooter
    Options

Yeah, my mistake - keyword LED; personally, have only been into what is strictly thought of as 'home theatre' projectors (cnet review of what they consider 'the best' - not one LED among them). So, for whatever reason, that generally doesn't include LED projectors (maybe due to a relatively common sacrifice in 'lumens'? - not sure). So, in such a case, one would be dealing with non-LED bulbs that last anywhere from 2000 - 5000 hr.

In the case of LED projectors, you're right - significant bulb life, anywhere from 10k to 30k in hours - though I must admit, 30k is a surprising claim...fairly rare too, by the looks of it. Anyways, my tech expertise is thusly a bit limited in helping to explain what happened, but would point out that any tech with high performance claims likely has equally high preservation requirements. For instance, between a 80Gb Hard-drive, and a (higher performance) 80Gb Solid-state-drive, the SD has far more caveats when it comes to maintaining its performance. So, in your case, might suggest turning on the AC whenever you run any LED projector...good luck with the new one, though. (and sorry again concerning my oversight)

• Rasch
    Rasch Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

You're not alone. After likely about 2000 hours I thought to notice my K11 (I have 3 other projectors) getting dimmer. A short while after, about 2 weeks ago, a note popped up on my screen saying the projector was reaching the end of its 'useful life' in full powere--I guess that means 'standard'--mode and recommending lamp replacement. As the lamps are flogged at 30,000 hours and I knew I had less than 10% of that on the projector I was really annoyed. Te fact that there is no direct way to complain to Acer or even find out how to replace the lamp exacerbates things.

I figure  Acer probably has poor quality control and that it's likely led lamps have something like a half life--they gradually lose their pop but may continue to project like a dim flashlight up to near enough the hours Acer flogs. Since I had another problem wiht an Acer k330, I'm going back to conventional projectors with a longer warranty--it's more economical to buy a bulb every 3000 hrs or so than a projector.

• Josealwin
    Josealwin Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have my acer k11 same with your problem ,suddenly dim,i am far from the city so i try to open the unit and i see the problem not from the led lamp but in the window filter going to the shutter ,i simply remove the burn filter and put back the screws, and its work same as new ,just try to open and see the problem,,,
  • Basu42002
    Basu42002 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi, WHere can we get replacement lamp for K11, i bought this in 2012 and i got a popup message that I need to replace the lamp. Could some please let me know if you have any details on thi.

• patrizioitalian
    patrizioitalian Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi to all.

My problem is the same. PROJECTOR ACER K11 SUDDENLY DIM before 2000 working hours and not after 20000 or 30000 hours.

I know that problems as Josealwin said here:

The problem not from the led lamp but in the window filter going to the shutter , I remove the burn filter and put back the screws, and its work same as new.

Here the picture made of the BURNED FILTER that could be replaced:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/880x495q90/540/uFkAkJ.jpg

Ok I did and the brightness is returned as the first BUT I had to put the burn filter again cause:

Because removing it, I saw a red stain on the bottom right which I think is caused by having removed the piece of metal that was behind the filter. I wanted to know where to find this little plexiglass filter (mine is blackened so It threws down the brightness).

Can ACER send me this little piece of plexiglass (Burn Filter) that has also an odd shape and a surface with tiny dots, which I believe they will serve to focus the light from the 3 colored LEDs ?

There is the opportunity to purchase this small spare part?

Please answer me Thanks.

Pat
  • technikandi
    technikandi Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

HI patrizioitalian,

i have excactly the same problem as you.

it cannot be, that acer praises the product with 20.000 life hours and after 2500 hours (my case) i cant use it anymore. and it was 3 monthes after the loss of garantuee. this is simply a joke.

here's the picture of my burned filter: http://i.imgur.com/9pe5wFy.jpg  (this is such a fail-calculation by the acer engineers, i can't believe it)

but back to the problem: i used ur picture to remove my burned filter too. and good u mentioned the metal piece. i have excatly the same problem now: red stain, and the light itself is not even spread, if you know what i mean (the upper left side of the projected picture is too dark.

i try to find out, which kind of filter this is. I actually think it is a lens and not a filter.

i try to find a optics company, and try to find a bigger filter, which i cut then. one example here in germany is "edmund optics". after research i found this: edmundoptics.de/optics/optical-lenses/specialty-lenses/cylindrical-microlens-arrays/3523?print=Pdf . the text says it is to homogenitize led light.  but the price is ****

so long,

greetings from Germany

[edited to comply with guidelines - removed link to direct download]

• Sir-Aza
    Sir-Aza Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi guys

I had the same problem with that burnt plastic part. I tried to get a solution and i found one so here i am to share it with u as your posts helped a lot find the problem Smiley Happy

First of all the the part in question is called a "Mosaic Lens" and the solution is to use a fine metal sanding paper and sand it down until all the brown/yellow burnt stuff is gone and the part is transparent again put back the part in the same position ( old burnt side facing the lens box and voila the projector works perfectly again Smiley Happy

This is good workaround until the part is found for sale somewhere Smiley Happy

Hope it worked guys good luck Smiley Wink

• Umpy315
    Umpy315 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

You nailed this problem ! I too took my projector apart and found a square plastic lens type part that was fried...i removed it and now the projector is bright again.The only problem is now it shows rainbow type colors around the edges.I would say you are right about this piece being a filter.I'm going to call the company to see if it is possible to get this part.Thanks for the great advice.

• Sir-Aza
    Sir-Aza Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi

Glad your problem is ours Smiley Tongue

I had the same prob and removed the plastic part and had rainbow colors as u :/.

The solution is not to remove it but to sand down the brown burnt surface until its clear again, dont take it out completely it will destroy your projector k11 color spectrum.

As said sand down the burnt brown surface until its clear ( transparent again ) and mount it back in again.

Its not the best solution, but i have already contacted Acer and they suggest to change the full lens block for half the price of the Projector. Thats not a real solution either, as the same piece would be in the same state after only 4000 Hours. I remind u the projector LED lamp has 30000 Hours possible.

Your choice repair by sanding down free or buying a new projector Smiley Tongue

been 6 months since sanding down and its works again as a charm Smiley Wink

Easy task good luck Smiley Wink

PS: the plastic lens has dotted surface just sand down the burnt surface and put it back as it was, weirdly the dotted face burnt sanded down has no impact Smiley Wink

Keep us informed if it worked Smiley Wink

• Umpy315
    Options

Hi.Thanks for your reply.I too was thinking of sanding this piece down but it was badly melted to the point where it was stuck in the guide slots...Had a hard time removing it.It was melted almost all the way through and distorted beyond correction..My projector is an AAXA android with minimal hours.I also have a AAXA showtime the has been malfuntioning.It will freeze and shut down frequently...It's beyond warranty so i haven't been using it. I decided to open it to see if the part might be the same.As it turned out it is identical except for the android components but the optical housing is the same.I removed that piece and put it into the android.Within two hours it went dim again.I am now thinking this may be atleast a secondary problem.seems something is making it over heat inside the housing.I checked both fans and they are working.Also appears to be as clean as I can get it.Any ideas? Thanks again.

• Umpy315
    Options

Couldn't find anything called "mosaic lens"but apperas to be what is called a bead surface lens that is used with led lighting.

• Umpy315
    Options

I was wrong.The part in question is not called a mosaic lens.It is called a micro lens arrays.Says it in tecnikandis link for Edmundoptics.There are a few places this can be purchased....waiting till monday to call around.