spin 7 SP714-51 doesn't wake up the external hdmi monitor (connected via its dongle)

vcheng1
vcheng1 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Recently bought a Spin 7 (SP714-51) from Costco. When using it at home, I keep the labtop hooked up to a 42" Acer monitor using the hdmi dongle that comes with the labtop. The labtop is shutdown overnight, but goes to sleep during the day when I'm away. Annoyingly, when returning to work after a long break, the labtop doesn't wakes up the sleeping external display! I have to turn off and then on the monitor itself to see the active display. Anyone has a solution?

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Did you try pressing the Windows key and P at the same time ? Select Diplicate, Extend, or Second Screen only if the second monitor shows up.

• vcheng1

Pressing window-P only shows that the labtop is already in the Extended mode. It doesn't wake the external monitor.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Did you try switching from extended to duplicate then back ? Right click on a blank area of the screen. Select "Display Settings". Select "detect". Anything happen ?

• vcheng1

I did. It didn't help. Whether I switched to extended or duplicate mode, the external screen stayed asleep.