should i upgrade my Aspire R3-131T V1.06 to W10

ArferDaley
ArferDaley Member Posts: 15 New User

i am debating if i should upgrade to W10 or stich to W8.1 i have upgraded the ram to 8Gb but too be honest it didn't make much differance still runs like a slug but ok for general surfin

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Edit the serial number.

You can change the HDD to a SSD.
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

i would update BIOS to the latest and run the Synaptics update.

updating to windows 10 is worth, run much better than windows 8.1 but...if you want a real performance boost, a SSD is mandatory.

I would create a factory recovery media to re-install windows 8.1 in the worst case and do a windows 10 clean installation.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

A lot depends on which R3-131T model this refers to. Some can be hotrodded quite a bit. Others like the one that has a 32GB drive is more difficult.

• ArferDaley

Here Are The Specs thanks for the input

############################

Board: Acer Aspire R3-131T V1.06
    Serial Number: NBG0Y00000000000000000
    Bus Clock: 83 megahertz
    UEFI: Insyde Corp. V1.06 05/25/2015

1.60 gigahertz Intel Celeron N3050
    56 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Not hyper-threaded

1964 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM0' has 2048 MB (serial number 43622112)

480.90 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    450.60 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

WDC WD5000LPVX-22V0TT0 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WX41A45PT03Z, rev 01.01A01, SMART Status: Healthy

Windows 8.1 (x64) (build 9600)
    Install Language: English (United Kingdom)
    System Locale: English (United Kingdom)
    Installed: 12/01/2016 13:08:17
    Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Edit the serial number.

You can change the HDD to a SSD.
  • ArferDaley

ive made a acer factory recovery usb drive thingy done that when i first got it

so if i download all the w10 drivers upgrade the bios and download a w10 home on a usb stick i should be able to install w10 fresh is that correct

• IronFly

yes, correct.

choose to do a custom installation, delete every partition on the HDD and install windows 10.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

You are fortunate and have a replacable (SATA 3) hard drive, if you had a 32GB SSD (common with the N3050) than the SSD is hardwired to the motherboard and is hard to upgrade. Can also swap the 2GB SODIMM for a 8GB.

I replaced my WD 500GB HDD with a Samsung EVO SSD (if you use a 500GB, transfer is  a system image away) and the Crystal Mark went fron 89 MB/s to 480MB/s and is not much slower than a R14 with an i7.

That Acer made some N3050 (2 core/2 thread)/non-replacable 32GB R3-131Ts as a "loss leader" without really explaing the difference between that and the N3700 (4 core/4 thread)/replacable HDD/SSD versions also called R3-131Ts was something of a disservice. The specs were honest, no misadvertising, they just were not complete and there is a lot of confusion between the two versions of the same design.

I bought a R3-131T (-P344) for my personal use and it is something of a hot rod that in some ways it is the ultimate 2015 example of a ventless design. Not perfect, there are a few annoyances I am working on, but the first real replacement that can do everything my Aspire One 532h could do. Much faster.

• ArferDaley

when i purchased this i didnt expect a speed machine when i read the specs and it was cheap just over £150

but i didnt expect it too lock up so often while surfin the net which is why i upgraded the ram from 2gb  to 8gb

it made a little differance but not much i will wait for the SSD drives too come down a little more in price b4 i get one i might just try the advice and install W10 and see if its any better but i am not a fan of w10 but hey sometimes ya just gota bite the bullet and go with the flow

thank you all for your help and advice

i hope i can help someone some day

• Captain_WD
    Captain_WD Member Posts: 39 New User

Hey ArferDaley,

A couple of notes from me:

- The amount of memory would matter only if certain applications run better with more memory and can actually utilize more than you have. If you never hit 100% usage you would hardly notice any difference.

- It would be a good idea to check the health of the drive that you currently have in your computer as if it runs slower than usual this may be an indication of some problems and might be putting your data in danger. I would recommend using WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic and see if the WD drive passes both the quick and the extended tests. I would then confirm this with a third-party tool that can give you the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status. If you have trouble reading them feel free to post them here. Smiley Happy

- Upgrading the storage drive to a SSD should indeed boot the performance and responsiveness of your system as SSDs have extremely low access times and very high transfer speeds.

Captain_WD.