linux support swift 7, hard drive not recognized

feurry
feurry Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Can anyone help get linux working on the acer swift 7 laptop. I chatted with Acer and they won't help. I've submitted a bug report with the linux kernel.

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=188341

I just tested the latest 4.9.5 series kernel and it still can't load the hard drive properly, so linux can't be installed to the hard drive.

I am on the latest bios v1.03

Any ideas?

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

The Swift 3 received a firmware update through Windows Update.  My guess is you need a firmware update though Windows Update to get it to work.  But that's just a guess.

Have you set a supervisor password in the UEFI so you can unlock the advanced secure boot settings?  And then add Grub to the trusted secure boot settings?

You can ask them in the link below.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Swift-Spin-S-and-R-Series/Ubuntu-on-Swift-3-SF314-51-74FW-black-screen-after-menu-on-Live/td-p/464481/highlight/true/page/5

If you follow the steps below and it still doesn't work, then you probably need a firmware update (you'll probably have to call Acer and ask them to work with Insyde and Microsoft to get the Swift 7 updated).

1. Create a supervisor password in the UEFI settings

2. Make sure secure boot is enabled in the UEFI settings

3. Enable the F12 boot menu in the UEFI settings

4. Add Grub (add \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi) to the trusted secure boot settings.

Good luck.

Edit: If you're desperate..........then try this.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • feurry

Thanks, but I'm not having a black screen problem or secure boot issue. I have secure boot disabled, but enabled it to see if there was a bios update through windows, and the update found nothing to install.

The problem is the hard drive is not recognized properly. I can boot up a linux live usb no problem. I just can't install it because there is no hard drive (according to linux)

I have already jumped through hoops, and can get it to work on older kernels, but that leads to jumping through more hoops to get wifi and other things working. I have debian running on dual boot right now (it was a PITA), but I'm stuck with kernels 4.0.9 and below.

you can see my kernel report here, which shows the hard drive error

here's another post detailing my attempts to get something working

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-laptop-and-netbook-25/acer-swift-7-hard-drive-not-recognized-how-to-get-it-supported-4175593518/page1.html

Does calling acer do anything different than chat? I chatted with them yesterday and they told me they don't support 3rd party software.

• JordanB

Why didn't you tell me that you altered your BIOS settings from default in your original post?  That's pretty important information that you left out. 

Feel free to search through my posts to learn how to wipe your drive with " diskpart clean"and to get back to factory condition.  And feel free to search through my posts on how to dual boot Windows and Linux.  Good luck.  

• feurry

I'm using rEFInd to dual boot, and it works great. Original bios settings, secure boot, not secure boot. Doesn't matter, linux still can't load the hard drive.

here's the relevant part of linux dmesg where the hard drive can't be brought online and is disabled.

[ 8.185103] ata1.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
    [ 8.185123] ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
    [ 8.185127] ata1.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)
    [ 8.498197] ata1: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
    [ 18.937128] ata1.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
    [ 18.937150] ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
    [ 18.937155] ata1.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)
    [ 18.937292] ata1: limiting SATA link speed to 3.0 Gbps
    [ 18.937299] ata1.00: limiting speed to UDMA/133Smiley TongueIO3
    [ 19.250305] ata1: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 320)
    [ 19.519106] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
    [ 19.693828] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=05dc, idProduct=c75d
    [ 19.693835] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    [ 19.693840] usb 1-1: Product: USB Flash Drive
    [ 19.693844] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Lexar
    [ 19.693847] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: ECA7258EF30A
    [ 49.657155] ata1.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
    [ 49.657175] ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
    [ 49.657179] ata1.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)
    [ 49.657272] ata1.00: disabled

• JordanB

No, here's the relevant part:  You must follow the correct procedure to dual boot Windows and Linux and have everything work properly.  You didn't do that.  Good luck.

• feurry
    I bought a new hard drive and everything worked. So I wasn't doing anything wrong, as I suspected. And secure boot is disabled. In case anyone else has this problem, I bought MyDigitalSSD 256GB Super Boot 2 (SB2) 42mm (2242) SATA III (6G) M.2 NGFF SSD Solid State Drive - MDM242-SB2-0256

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

So it was a problem recognising your original hard drive & solved with a new drive ? What was the original drive ?

Have been putting Linux on several systems lately but use separate disks for each OS, latest was Kali on a 64GB 3.0 flash on a Chromebook. Did have a lot of problems with refind wanting files that were not there so just using stock distros with manual boot loader install.

• withgoog
    withgoog Member Posts: 0 Newbie
    feurry said:

Can anyone help get linux working on the acer swift 7 laptop. I chatted with Acer and they won't help. I've submitted a bug report with the linux kernel.

I just tested the latest 4.9.5 series kernel and it still can't load the hard drive properly, so linux can't be installed to the hard drive.

I am on the latest bios v1.03

Any ideas?

Hey Buddy. I am sorry to hear that when you got the laptop. but you could not do anything you wanted.
    NOT AN ADS, I got the Matebook X Pro 2019 with preinstalled third dist Linux. it is working just as good as I can 't tell. except, the fingerprint sensor.
    I have no complaints about it. it's just good for Linux users like me. I recommend it to you, you maybe consider to exchange one like that.

Good luck