creating system recovery drive on acer

Options
clark02121992
clark02121992 Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

So, i was creating a system recovery drive on my windows 10 laptop i plugged in a 16gb usb 3.0 drive and the next button was grayed out now i cant create the recovery drive do usb 3.0 not recommended?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

the USB flash drive is recognised by windows file explorer?

have you tried to plug in different USB ports?

your laptop model?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • clark02121992

Tinkerer

Options

Yea. the usb is being recognized. i had a acer aspire r11

• IronFly
    Options
    Can you try with another USB flash drive or external USB HDD?
  • clark02121992

Tinkerer

Options

i'll try as soon as i got one.

• clark02121992

Tinkerer

Options

seem's to be usb 3.0 ports are aint supported. i tried plugging in into usb 2.0 ports and it detects. should i buy a usb 2.0 instead? and it say's i need 16GB flash drive is that accurate? or just estimated? beacause i dont wanna end up buying the wrong size

• IronFly
    Options
    You can buy an USB 2.0 and 16GB is ok.
  • clark02121992

Tinkerer

Options

okay. so the acer recovery drive would really eats up 16gb of space?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Think he is talking about th Windows 10 recovery, not Acer's. Earlier versions were happy with 8 GB but Win 10 seems to want a 16. Don't need anything fancy, a class 2 or 4 is fine.

Could have sworn I used the 3.0 USB socket on a R3 and a R5 just for the better speed but not sure & does not really matter.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

All,

So we tested a R3-131T with a USB 3.0 drive in the USB3.0 port and the recovery management software recognized it and allowed us to continue. Hopefully this just a weird one-off issue. If someone else has the issue, we'll see if we can find any similiarities. I just wanted to provide an update that I did pursue us verifying that the basic function of using USB 3.0 on a USB 3.0 port worked as intended.

Thanks,
    Cory

• IronFly
    Options

Yes Cory, the R5-471 i tested, created a recovery image using and USB 3.0 HDD Bay.

• clark02121992

Tinkerer

Options

im talking about acer recovery. How many size would eat up for creating acer recovery?

• clark02121992

Tinkerer

Options

I will retry again plugging it in into usb 3.0 port to see if it works.

• clark02121992

Tinkerer

Options

okay my bad it works on usb 3.0 maybe may usb just had faults.

• Nkd
    Nkd Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Same thing happened to me. I am trying to create a recovery drive and tried to connect several usb drives but my Acer Aspire R14 two in one lap top doesn't recognize any usb though they are perfectly recognized and are working on my other computers.  Please help as I am getting nervous with this new Acer lap top I purchase very recently.

• mjtaryan
    mjtaryan Member Posts: 27 New User
    Options
    I don't have this Acer model, but there is a high possibility that it is the flash drive that is faulty and not the computer or the software. I've run into this problem with some flash drives -- particularly those from China that are real cheap, but also once or twice from reputable manufacturers like Sandisk.
  • clark02121992

Tinkerer

Options

try some more usb flash drives maybe they are faulty one's

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Are the flash drives formatted FAT32 ? For some reason Microsoft requires recovery drives to be FAT32 and system image drives NTFS so cannot use the same drive for both.