cannot re-install OS in Acer S3-391

Options
pinaghosh
pinaghosh Member Posts: 8 New User

I have an acer Aspire S3 391 - the compute crashed - since then i am trying to restore and got the 5 CDs from Acer including Systems disc. I can go to restore screen but then on Disc 1 it fails to find partition. It says OS partition with 0.0 MB space. I do not know what to do. I have tried to log-in using Hiron's CD and formatted the CD - I can see all the partitions in disk 0 but still it does not work during install. I have been able to secure all the data but thats about it

regards

Pinaki

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

ok, boot with Mini-XP.

once booted, double click command prompt

type

diskpart

type

list disk

type

select disk 0

(i suppose you have only 1 HDD on your system)

type

clean

type

exit

now your HDD is completly wiped, exit from mini-xp and boot from your recovery media.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

on Hiren's, you need to delete all partitions, only with raw data (un-allocated space) the recovery CD will install the OS.

• pinaghosh
    Options

thank you - but how do I delete all existing partitions with Hirens - what utility should I use? I can see the volumes with windows XP but how can I delete all the volumes? thanks in advance

• IronFly
    Options

boot from Hiren's cd, select Linux based rescue, press return again on "start options", once booted on linux parted magic, double click on "partition editor", select partitions, select delete and click on Apply.

once done, exit from Linux and boot from your Acer recovery CDs.

• pinaghosh
    Options

thanks - I think I have bad sectors in the HDD because I could not use the linux program and could not nuke the HDD - the partition program failed during linux installation -

pinaki

• IronFly
    Options

Can you explain it better?

you are not able to boot to linu partition magic or the partition editor can't delete the partitions?

you can also try to use disk eraser, from the same linux partition magic os, this will wipe to zero all the HDD, it will take a longer time than deleting partitions.

• pinaghosh
    Options

when I run the linux install then I can reach the "start" option screen as you suggested but from then when I click on the start option then it decompresses the files and tries to find PMAGIC_2012_10_10.SQFS... - then it hangs in long time disabling IRQ #16. Then it cannot find the PMAGIC file (pMAGIC....SQFS)

and sends me to bash-4.2#. I do not know how to command from here to clean the partitions - any help is greatly appreciated

regards

Pinaki 

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

ok, boot with Mini-XP.

once booted, double click command prompt

type

diskpart

type

list disk

type

select disk 0

(i suppose you have only 1 HDD on your system)

type

clean

type

exit

now your HDD is completly wiped, exit from mini-xp and boot from your recovery media.

• pinaghosh
    Options

hi there,

thanks I am amost there but in the final step after installation of language CD it says "fail to set Win8 BCD Boot" - then I am back to square one. If I say OK then it gives a blank screen with No bootable device - please restart system"  - I think I am almost there.

regards

Pinaki

• IronFly
    Options

if you press ALT+F10 at boot.....what happens?

• pinaghosh
    Options

same no bootable device- please restart system

• IronFly
    Options

Can you avoid to install the language disc?

this erros is caused by language settings.

the fix is quite easy if you have a windows 7 or 8 installation disk or recovery disk:

see here:

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/17774-windows-8-boot-error-bcd-3.html

• pinaghosh
    Options

how can I do that - because it asks for it - I mean else the restore would not be complete

• pinaghosh
    Options

finally it got resolved - I had to use the "clean" command as you said in your last mail - thanks a bunch

• IronFly
    Options
    You welcome! Smiley Happy