Why does it take so long to create an Acer factory backup recovery drive?

Options
raptor88
raptor88 Member Posts: 23

Tinkerer

I purchased an Acer Spin3 SP315-51-79NT that has a 1TB hard drive from Costco.  Before loading anything on the Spin3, I created an Acer factory backup recovery drive on a 16GB USB2 flash drive.  That took about 3+ hours (estimated since at 1hr, 50min it was only 60% done and I went to sleep).  Wondering if that factory backup recovery drive was valid, I did another using a 16GB USB3 flash drive.  That backup took 1hr, 5min.

Why does it take so long to create an Acer factory backup recovery drive?  Are my backup times normal?

Assuming that my backup times are normal, then maybe this post might help new buyers to know that backup on a USB2 flash drive takes about 3+ hours and on a USB3 flash drive it takes 1hr, 5min.

Raptor88

Best Answer

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew
    Answer ✓
    Options

USB 3.0 will have a faster transfer rate but the times you provided are about right. It has to build the image then transfer all files over to the drive which will take some time. Based on the info provided your system is running as normal. 

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew
    Answer ✓
    Options

USB 3.0 will have a faster transfer rate but the times you provided are about right. It has to build the image then transfer all files over to the drive which will take some time. Based on the info provided your system is running as normal. 

• raptor88

Tinkerer

Options

Acer Mary said:

----------

Hi Mary,

Thanks much for your confirmation.  Glad to hear that things are normal and that my new XPS-8900 is working at the correct speed.

Happy Holidays,

Raptor88

• raptor88

Tinkerer

Options

Raptor88 said:

Hi Mary,

Thanks much for your confirmation.  Glad to hear that things are normal and that my new XPS-8900 is working at the correct speed.

---------------

No edit capability for previous posts so making the correction here.  (Recently also bought a XPS-8900 so referred to the wrong computer.)  I meant to say:

"Glad to hear that things are normal and that my new Acer Spin3 is working at the correct speed."

Thanks,

Raptor88