Why can't send emails from Outlook when I'm connected to a wireless network?

Robsocal
Robsocal Member Posts: 3 New User

I'm able to send and recieve emails using MS Outlook when I'm connected to my ethernet in my office, but when I travel and connect to a wireless network I can recieve but not send emails. When I try to send an email, I get a frequent popup that asks me for a password, but it will not send an email. Do any of you know how I can configure my settings to be able to send and recieve emails on Outlook regardless of how and where I'm connected?  

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

It sounds like you may not be able to send emails because you are outside the company network. Are you connecting via VPN client? If not, that is probably why it isn't working. Have you asked your work IT if they have any suggestions?

• Robsocal
    Robsocal Member Posts: 3 New User

I don't think I'm connecting to a VPN client, and I'm not using a company network. When I was in the field, I was able to recieve emails on MS Outlook 2016, but was unable to send. I tried a number of times, but Outlook would not allow me to send. When I returned to my office and connected via ethernet, I could send.

Is it a settings issue, a port issue or something else? I would like to be able to use Outlook to send and recieve emails if I am out of the office and am using wireless.

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

I don't really know of a setting that would cause this. If you are repeatedly being prompted for your password, Outlook is not recognizing it as valid. I am not sure if this is because the computer is not connected to Wifi, unable to access the Outlook server, or if the password is incorrect. When you are unable to send emails, are you able to view web pages and surf the web? Maybe another community user will have some advice or troubleshooting to contribute.