Where is the SCROLL LOCK key on the Acer Aspire S7?

abdekker12
abdekker12 Member Posts: 33

Tinkerer

Where is the SCROLL LOCK key on the Aspire S7-392 keyboard? I need that to use a program I require for work, TeamViewer. To be sure, I don't use this key for anything except TeamViewer...but unfortunately TV needs it to transfer various system commands to the remote computer.

If the button is gone (oops!), would it be possible to re-assign the CAP LOCK key (which I never use) to be SCROLL LOCK?

Thanks in advance,

Alain

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Fn+Alt Gr   ?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • abdekker12

Tinkerer

No, the Fn+Alt Gr key just loads the context menu for the current selected item. Useful, but not SCROLL LOCK.

SCROLL LOCK is one of those mysterious, little used keys on the standard QWERTY keyboard that prevents the view from scrolling. It was used a long time ago, if memory serves, to help with entering text into spreadsheets when screen resolutions were low. Nowadays its a bit of an anacronism, which is possibly what has motivated Acer to remove or hide the button.

I'm hoping Acer have just hidden the button...because despite it being nearly useless, its not totally useless if you use TeamViewer! There must be other people out there who this button as well?

Thanks,

Alain

• IronFly

Yep, i'm enough old to remember it. Smiley Very Happy

i suspect that scroll lock key is missing on S7 series, have you tried with the on screen keyboard?

i don't know if teamviewer need a real keystroke to work.

EDIT: i read that on other brands

Fn+C

or

Fn+K

can activate it, worth a try.

• abdekker12

Tinkerer

Great suggestion, thanks. Unfortuantely it doesn't work! There is a ScrlLck key on the on-screen keyboard, but when I click it, it doesn't appear to have the desired result. One of the key bits of functionality TeamViewer provides when you tap SclLck is to allow ALT+TAB to switch between windows in the remote PC. With ScrlLck selected, ALT+TAB continues to switch between windows on my local (Windows 8.1) laptop.

Another key bit of functionality ScrLck gives is that when the Windows key is pressed, it is pressed in the remote computer, not the local computer. This also isn't working.

I suspect the on-sreen keyboard is only a software emulation, but doesn't have honest-to-goodness hardware control? I've tried Fn+C and Fn+K as suggesed, but no joy. Thanks for the suggestion.

I might try plug in a full-size USB keyboard and see if that works...

Alain

• IronFly

Full size USB keyboard will work.

maybe some  program to assign key combination functions will work too.

http://www.autohotkey.com/

(never used to be honest)