V5-572pg Image retention, blinking contrast and throttling

Options
PaulWynns
PaulWynns Member Posts: 16 New User

Hello, folks

I've bought this super ultrabook on february of this year and yet just started using it.

There's a couple of problems that i'm really aware of as i've checked some of them and even asked Acer support,

and so on im asking you.

And if there's any chance that you don't own this notebook yet and planning to buy it. Buy the one with nvidia, don't ask but just buy the nvidia. Less troubles there.

_________________________ solved

The first and the main problem im aware of is image retention or how is it called.

Whenever you stay inet-surfin' for half an hour or couple of hours - an address bar of chrome

with its own symbols and favourite STAR button remains on the screen even if you close the chrome.

It stays still even if you reboot your comp and fades of with some time. I've heard it is an image

retention and acer support told me that it is not usual thing and i must go to the service, but 

every single user of notebook told me that it happens sometime and OK at all. no need to worry

they said. On the screen under you can see my space wallpaper and some lightly noticable address bar of google chrome:

found an old topic about S7 series and there's told about overdriven contrast by acer and it seems OKAY

Confirm this as solved. HD Intel driver seems to overdrive contrast. lower the "contrast (increasing)" to 0 and there won't remain anything.

A question to technician: is the little retention by overdriven contrast hurts the display somehow? and is the retention can get permanent?

_________________________ solved

The second thing is freaking blinking contrast. i've unchecked every single point of auto-contrast

options on an intel driver and internal programs but its still takes a very big bites of my nerves.

Whenver you change one big coloured image to an another but not so contrasty - screen changes

the contrast itself and eyes go BOOM in few moments like that.

Thank you myself, it seems i got a solution on the blinking. Works as clocks.

_________________________ can't do anything yet

Third trouble is throttling. I don't really know how is it solved and googled some points of it.

But could i get some temperatures to set up higher temperatures to throttle and i'm totally dumb

at it. So asking a help. BF3 and Mortal Kombat with 60 fps is ok but after some minutes its like 5 fps

and it gets hot, but whenever you take of your charge cable and bring it back it comes fast as it was

for some more time... then repeat.

And the one more thing. I dont get why but i can't disable buttons lightening. Everytime i disable it

and then lock my comp it gets enabled whenever i get my notebook started again.

Thanks a lot. I'm sorry for my english as i've learned it by the internet and also sorry for not really

googling through the forum cause i'm short on traffic. Thank for everybody who'll get into topic

I'm trying to update the top message as soon as possible. Please correct me on my troubles as most

of the topics/solutions i find are not directly about v5-572pg

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

I don't think that Acer made available that settings.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

Send it to service, no way that your monitor has retention, it's not a plasma panel.

• PaulWynns
    Options

IronFly wrote:

Send it to service, no way that your monitor has retention, it's not a plasma panel.

You sure this is a trouble? Like 4 guys told me that they got the same thing. Some static bright elements

are remain for some time after. They told me that's somewhat "pixel heating". So its not okay?

• IronFly
    Options

Not okay on modern displays.

• PaulWynns
    Options

So the last question goes to throttling or somewhat that stops games going on 100%.

The thing is: when you play some 3D games with or without a charger and having the best ever performance it can get down with no direct reason. Sometimes the notebook is very hot, yes, dunno but it can be throttling (?). The cores frequency goes down from 2GHz++ to the lowest 0.75Ghz. And a strange little solution to this is just unplugging the charger and plugging it back again. It goes back up to 2GHz++, but in some time you must repeat.

Mostly its caused whenever the notebook is hot.

But i've got some strange results whenever it was cold enough and the game wasn't really a crysis in its time, just some light games and you still have to do stupid actions like plugging in and out. The notegirl you know.

btw what ur temps hanging around? by AIDA most of the time surfing i got like 44-48* celsium.

What are the normal max temps that do not harm the computer anyhow?

As well i want to ask about BIOS. I've accessed BIOS but it seems so dumb on any settings. There's almost

nothing i can change and there's nothing about temps and throttling. What to do?

• IronFly
    Options

modern CPU can raise to 80°c without problems, but on a notebook temperature must be lower since they are not "cooking" device. Smiley Happy

About throttling, i would try to update chipset drivers and ME (Management Engine)Driver, if you not already did.

i would check power settings on control panel and try to set a custom profile or select high perfomance if any available; i would check also on BIOS if any C-state option is available (i doubt but worth checking).

• PaulWynns
    Options

I'm sorry, I'm totally dumb with BIOS. But as i heard i need to reach it and make

some throttling differences. But when i get there i can't do almost anything.

Should i update my BIOS/UEFI?

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

I don't think that Acer made available that settings.