Swift 3 won't turn on - Acer SF3-14

fw88
fw88 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

Brand new Swift 3 (SF3-14), using it without any problems for two days. Did all the Windows updates. I got up and put the computer to sleep by closing the lid. When I came back (10 minutes later), I opened the lid and the screen didn't turn on. Strange. The indicator lights on the side were still flashing. The battery is almost completely charged as well. I decided to turn it off by holding the power button down for 10 seconds. I waited and then tried to boot the computer back up again (with the plug in). No response at all. The keyboard lights just blink on, and then off. 

Any idea how to get this thing back on? 

Answers

• kariek
    kariek Member Posts: 1 New User

The same exact thing just happened to me. My company's IT department had to return one Swift 3 because of this problem, and now my brand new Swift 3 is doing the same thing after trying to revive it from Sleep Mode. I hope someone at Acer can chime in with a solution.

• Crespoloco
    Crespoloco Member Posts: 2 New User

Same problem, brand new disappointing so far computer. Acer please post a solution, I need this for work.

• julienDv
    julienDv Member Posts: 1 New User

Exactly these same problem also here!
    Brand new Swift 3 (SF3-14)

PLease help us asap!

Registered my serial number in my 'acer' profile.

• chechobroom
    chechobroom Member Posts: 4 New User

I was really pumped on buying it, but too many people have encountered this BIG issue, and it´s honestly a bummer... I can´t find any other laptop with this specs, price, style and portability; But I´m not buying it until Acer fixes this problem. Right now it´s "unavailable" on Amazon (Acer Swift 3 SF314-51-384Z), maybe when they re-stock, the new batch is going to have this fixed. But PLEASE Acer give us some news/updates about this!!!

• marknatalie
    marknatalie Member Posts: 7 New User

Had a similar situation last week.. Was working in lightroom, finished up a book and went down tto have dinner. The battery was charged fully. Came back to turn it on, keyboard turned on, I think Acer flashed once and then it turned off.

I called Acer to see if they can help me out. They made me follow some steps with pressing a pin into the battery button on the bottom side. After half an hour, nothing worked so they told me to send off to Acer to have it looked at. 

I got a call from them today saying it's ready and asked what the issue was. Apparently it was an issue with BIOS. (I was a bit skeptical about getting a machine with Intel i5 6200 because I did some research prior when I was thinking of getting an intel nuc's; which were failing due to heat). Hopefully it's just a BIOS issue and nothing else.

I'd recommend to give Acer a call and troubleshoot it, if all fails send it back and have them take a look at it. 

• nycollas
    nycollas Member Posts: 4 New User

Same problem here. I closed it for have lunch and 15min after, pufff. I got the swif 314 friday, 4 days after, it doesnt work. Like the other user posted here, we need it to work.. even if they dont know the problem,

[inappropriate content removed]

It's a mess to send it back and wait, much better if acer post a solution fast, somethig like a bias update.. i saw other guys talking about this problem with other model and the bias updade by a pen drive worked for them.

I tried to get the file for bias, but they say it can harm the device.. im not going to try without an official position.

• Crespoloco
    Crespoloco Member Posts: 2 New User

I ended up returning it, no time to send it back and no response here. IT recommended the Asus Zenbook which is what I got at best buy. I got lucky there was an opened item so I got it for really cheap. It is more expensive new but it is the same type of computer, light and sleek. 

Got the qeek squad support on it for 3 years and it ended up costing the same as the Swift 3. It is too bad because I like that computer!

• nycollas
    Today i talked with Acer by their chat. Thay said to hold volume + , volume - , and Power for 30 seconds. Nothing happened then they said to send it for the assistance. Try this, I hope you can have better luck than me.
  • marknatalie

Quick update: Picked up my Swift 3 today from Acer Canada. Laptop works fine. Technician there was super helpful.

• Hasan1
    Hasan1 Member Posts: 8 New User

Actually what was the issue? was it an BIOS issue? 

• nycollas
    If its bios, they should post the solution. It's a mess to send it back.

Did you lost something on the SSD?
  • marknatalie

Yup, it was a BIOS issue. 

• marknatalie

Nope, it didn't affect my SSD. 

• Hasan1

Thanks.What is the BIOS version right now you have(previous one maybe 1.05)? Then why they don't update the driver and manual in the web for the latest BIOS?! 

• fw88
    fw88 Member Posts: 4 New User

Glad some people got theirs fixed. I simply decided to return it and go with the Lenovo Thinkpad 13 instead. 

In my opinion, a two day old computer should not have to be sent in for service. That is ridiculous. 

• marknatalie

V1.07, 2016-11-22

Don't know, it just came out on the market and are seeing issues right now?

• chechobroom
    WAS? So are the Swift 3s shipped from now on won't encounter this problem?
  • Hasan1

Can you please  provide ta bios version V1.07 ?  It would be great. Thanks

• nycollas
    I have my Swift ready for send back but, I prefer to do it at home, it's much simple and I don't need to wait the shipping. Simple, don't?
  • chechobroom
    Did you make it by yourself? Did it work? What youtube tutorial did you use?