Swift 3 wifi drops

jv2
jv2 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hi,

I have Acer Swift 3 (14 inch version, i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD).

Since day one I bought this laptop, I am constantly getting wifi drops.

Even though the connection icon appears to be at full/almost full signal strength, suddenly I can't load any website nor ping anything. I have to manually disconnect from the wifi network and reconnect. Then it works for a while again, but sooner or later it will drop again.

It happens on different routers (home, work, public places), so I don't think router is to blame. I also have to add that other devices do not suffer from these drops.

I have updated to latest BIOS and I am using the latest wifi driver (12.0.0.278).

Please, is there anything I can do except patiently waiting for a working driver?

Thank you

Answers

• Viltvardis
    Viltvardis Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey !

I had exactly the same issue until I switched battery mode to - High Performance. You can do it in Power settings or Windows Mobility center - use search to find it.

• denix565
    denix565 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

I have the same problem even if I switch it to high performance.

• Viltvardis
    Viltvardis Member Posts: 2 New User

Check if you have the right driver. You can see which one I'm using and if it's not the same - download it, than uninstall the old one and install the new one.

Untitled.png

• jv2
    jv2 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

- high performance didn't help

- yes, I do have the latest available driver (12.0.0.278)

• kuokka
    kuokka Member Posts: 3 New User

I have the same issue with Wifi dropping on some occasions (especially when using Wifi hotspot on my smartphone). I have i3 (Kaby Lake) 8GB/256GB. My BIOS is version 1.01. Is there a more resent BIOS for Kaby Lake Swift 3 or is the 1.07 for Sky Lake only? Acer Care Center cannot find any updates...

I will try the High Performance setting next time when connecting to smartphone hotspot...

• troych
    troych Member Posts: 3 New User

Same problem i.e. wifi keeps dropping after few mins of inactivity. Latest bios firmware 1.08 and latest driver 4.0.2.262. Re-scanning for wifi networks reconnects everything.

• wolfzberg
    wolfzberg Member Posts: 1 New User

I've got the same problem with my wifi. 

BIOS: v1.08

wifi driver already new installed.

Please help!

• Koy
    Koy Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi guys, 

try to disable auto tuning on windows.

The auto tuning slows the wifi.

run cmd on windows as administrator, and type the following command : 

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

this should fix your wifi problems

• denix565
    denix565 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I had the same problem and this solution works perfectly for me. It is more windows 10 fault for the wifi to drop than the drivers. I did the following;

Optimize Wireless Adapter Settings for Best Wi-Fi Performance

If your computer drops Wi-Fi or shows no Wi-Fi available, you could change the wireless adapter power settings to get the best Wi-Fi performance. The default power option is "Power saving mode", which will result in Windows 10 Wi-Fi problem while connecting to distant WAPs. Take the following steps to fix the Wi-Fi issue.

Step 1. Use Windows shortcut keys Win + X and choose Power Options.

windows-10-wifi-problems-power-options.png

Step 2. Locate the current plan of your computer ("Balanced") and click Change plan settings.

wifi-not-available-windows-10-power-options.png

Step 3. Click Change advanced power settings.

Step 4. Choose the Maximum Performance under the entry Wireless Adapter settings.

windows-10-wifi-issue-maximum-performance.jpg

Step 5. Click Apply, and then click OK.

Updated: We've seen many users sharing their methods to troubleshoot the Windows 10 Wi-Fi not working problem in the comments. If the above 2 solutions don't work for you, try to turn on the Wi-Fi again in Settings, or uncheck the option Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power on Device Manager >> Network Adapters >> Properties >> Power Management tab.

power-management-fix-no-wifi-windows-10

• ztarnold1
    ztarnold1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    denix565, i created an account solely to say thanks. thank you so much. This issue has been plaguing me for a year, and your solution immediately solved it.
  • thekindbeetle
    thekindbeetle Member Posts: 1 New User
    If nothing helped, try to turn off bluetoooth module.
    It may interfere with wifi-module, like in my case.
    By the default, bluetooth and WiFi use the same frequency band
    If so it is, you may try to change WiFi frequency band (on router) to 5 GHz.
  • Subhransu
    Subhransu Member Posts: 3 New User
    jv2 said:

Hi,

I have Acer Swift 3 (14 inch version, i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD).

Since day one I bought this laptop, I am constantly getting wifi drops.

Even though the connection icon appears to be at full/almost full signal strength, suddenly I can't load any website nor ping anything. I have to manually disconnect from the wifi network and reconnect. Then it works for a while again, but sooner or later it will drop again.

It happens on different routers (home, work, public places), so I don't think router is to blame. I also have to add that other devices do not suffer from these drops.

I have updated to latest BIOS and I am using the latest wifi driver (12.0.0.278).

Please, is there anything I can do except patiently waiting for a working driver?

Thank you

I am facing the same issue. Where you able to fix this?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    @Subhransu did you try the suggestion @denix565 gave?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • paul12
    paul12 Member Posts: 1 New User
    @billsey I have the same problem and same model as @Subhransu; denix565 enlisted options are not available our current version of windows and model. I tried every things from changing the WiFi adapter setting to 5GHz, rolled back previous driver, only both old and new driver this problem still persists.
  • Jerme_0192
    Jerme_0192 Member Posts: 1 New User
    @paul12 I also had the same problem and a similar Acer swift 3 laptop (ACER - Swift 3 14" Laptop - AMD Ryzen 3, 256 GB SSD, Silver). I did not have any power plan options other than the "Balanced" and "Acer" options, and I couldn't find the "high performance" option. Also, I could not find the "power saving mode" and change the setting to "maximum performance". 

I tried this solution from: https://www.dell.com/community/Tablets-Mobile-Devices/Lost-quot-high-performance-quot-power-profile-on-Venue-8-pro/m-p/4453908#M27201

To quote,
    "Use Regedit and change the below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
    Change the value of the key CsEnabled from 1 to 0 and reboot.

1 means connected standby enabled and 0 disabled.
    Try it and see if it resolves your problem.

BTW: by disabling connected standby the battery display will also show the remaining time not just the percentage of battery life."

A more detailed guide is written in "solution 2" of this source (https://appuals.com/how-to-restore-missing-power-plan-options-on-windows-10/).

Changing the CsEnabled value revealed the hidden power plan options, or at least allow you to see them when you manually install them.

Instructions for manually installing power plans is written in "solution 1" of this source (https://appuals.com/how-to-restore-missing-power-plan-options-on-windows-10/).

I just tried the solutions given by @Koy and @denix565 myself, and so far the wifi does not seem to drop off. I have the latest WLAN driver (AX200 uploaded on Oct 30 2020) downloaded and ready to install if the wifi starts dropping again. 

Hope this issue is solved, for all of us.
  • Kraneberger
    Kraneberger Member Posts: 1 New User
    @paul12 I also had the same problem and a similar Acer swift 3 laptop (ACER - Swift 3 14" Laptop - AMD Ryzen 3, 256 GB SSD, Silver). I did not have any power plan options other than the "Balanced" and "Acer" options, and I couldn't find the "high performance" option. Also, I could not find the "power saving mode" and change the setting to "maximum performance". 

I tried this solution from: https://www.dell.com/community/Tablets-Mobile-Devices/Lost-quot-high-performance-quot-power-profile-on-Venue-8-pro/m-p/4453908#M27201

To quote,
    "Use Regedit and change the below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
    Change the value of the key CsEnabled from 1 to 0 and reboot.

1 means connected standby enabled and 0 disabled.
    Try it and see if it resolves your problem.
    Thankyou very much! This in combination with denix565's solution finally solved the Wifi problems for my new Acer swift 3. I was starting to doubt myself why I am not finding the described energy options...