Sleep Mode causes weird screen issues (not black screen) on Acer Aspire R5-471T

rhan748
rhan748 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Whenever I wake my laptop up from sleep mode, the screen turns pixelated white green blue red. Only force-shutdown fixes the problem except that the problem is recurring. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

here is what the screen looks like:IMG_0470.JPG

Answers

• ronhtu
    ronhtu Member Posts: 3 New User

I have the exact same issue, same model. Problem just occured all of a sudden last night. If I press the power button to put the laptop in hibernation mode and then wake it up, problem does not occur. If I close the lid to put it to sleep and open it, problem occurs.

Any fixes, Acer or anyone?

• BMacPDX
    BMacPDX Member Posts: 2 New User

Mine happened today, 28 September (2017). I like to describe it as "corduroy" to help others searching.

Some solace in knowing that "I am not alone".

For the time being, I turned off Sleep mode under power management. Obviously not a long-term solution.

Very interested in a solution.

• Jac1
    Jac1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Mine is doing the same thing except it's stuck there. How do you force-shutdown? Whenever I open my laptop it just has that screen.
  • BMacPDX
    BMacPDX Member Posts: 2 New User

On the bottom of the unit, near the hinge, there is a small pin hole. It has an icon like a battery being removed. I had to use my phone's SIM removal tool (a paper clip was to big).

• Please_Help_My_WIFI
    Please_Help_My_WIFI Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

I have the same issue, someone please help! Smiley Happy 

• DonnyBear
    DonnyBear Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Exact same thing is happening recently on my Aspire R14 - so frustrating!! Is there any soulutions from Acer -

Do they read these issues?

http://community.acer.com/t5/Swift-Spin-S-and-R-Series/Aspire-R14-white-blue-vertical-stripes-when-I-open-the-laptop/m-p/527640

this happens when I open the screen from sleep modethis happens when I open the screen from sleep mode
    IMG_0097.PNG

• DonnyBear

Tinkerer

Hi All

This is a slight fix to by-pass the stripe screen. Hope this helps you guys :-)

I went into Control Panel \ Hardware and Sound \ Power Options \ Edit Plan Settings ...

Then clicked the blue link at the bottom called change advanced power settings....

Open the "Power buttons and lid" menu > open "Lid close action" ....

On battery: select "Hibernate"

Plugged in: select "Hibernate"

Then close the lid ....

Now open the lid and you will notice the screen is black..

now press (don't hold) the power button and the windows log in screen will come up.

hope this helps a bit.. its not a system fix but helps to get around the stupid stripe screen.

Thanks

DonnyBear

• ronhtu

To force-shutdown, press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds.

• DonnyBear

Tinkerer

most people know this Smiley Happy

• hayk95
    hayk95 Member Posts: 1 New User

Same laptop, same issue, happened today, what do we do guys?

• DonnyBear

Tinkerer

i just posted this today Smiley Happy

Hi All

This is a slight fix to by-pass the stripe screen. Hope this helps you guys :-)

I went into Control Panel \ Hardware and Sound \ Power Options \ Edit Plan Settings ...

Then clicked the blue link at the bottom called change advanced power settings....

Open the "Power buttons and lid" menu > open "Lid close action" ....

On battery: select "Hibernate"

Plugged in: select "Hibernate"

Then close the lid ....

Now open the lid and you will notice the screen is black..

now press (don't hold) the power button and the windows log in screen will come up.

hope this helps a bit.. its not a system fix but helps to get around the stupid stripe screen.

Thanks

DonnyBear

• vader300
    vader300 Member Posts: 3 New User

So I have an Acer Aspire R14 and my screen started today doing this glitchy thing too, but only when I set it to go to sleep. I set tapping the power button to put it to sleep. When it woke, bam, screen all funky. I tap the button again (set it asleep again) and then when it woke the second time, the screen was back to normal. Not sure what's going on, since this seems so many people were affected by this just today. What did Acer do?

• vader300
    vader300 Member Posts: 3 New User

Ok everyone, I fixed it...for now. So I reset windows to when a critical update was installed from earlier today. Included in that update was an updated graphics driver from Intel. I reset it to the older version and I'm no longer getting the crazy screen when I wake it from sleep. Something about that driver was not compatible with the Windows update. Anyways, I'm going to keep using the old driver for the time being until a patched driver comes out fixing their booboo. You can do this by going to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced Start Up > Troubleshoot > Advanced Settings > System Recovery. Pick a recovery point from before the issue occuring. Should work after that. 

• stephenrappapor
    stephenrappapor Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I have this issue, too. I opted to set "close on lid" options to hibernate as DonnyBear suggested. The screen returns normally. It's a work-around, but it works reliably.  I'll keep it this way until the next Win update fixes the issue. Very glad it's not a machine problem and, like another poster commented, and comforted that I'm not alone with this.

• psommer
    psommer Member Posts: 1 New User

This is also happening on my R5-471T today, that I've had for only about 11 mos. Thought it was a crash at first. My machine is still under warranty. It is happening every time it goes into sleep mode and I hit the power to wake it up. Problem with this is every time I have to reset or turn off and back on again, I have to restart everything I typically use all day. That's a real pain.

Thanks for sharing - b/c at least your solution gives us an explanation why it started happening to everyone all at once. I see a couple of temporary work arounds here anyway. Hopefully this will be corrected soon w/ another update. Figured the more people commenting here, the better.

• slowturbop5
    slowturbop5 Member Posts: 5 New User

Wow so I'm not the only one.  This started happenning to me yesterday and it's caused me a lot of headache.  I system reset it and now my computers all messed up.  Many things are missing from start menu such as system admin tools and also the start search doesnt work anymore.  And system reset would only solve the issue for about 30 minutes or so.  After that the gray screen comes back after sleep.  I wish I never did the system reset.

• ronhtu

Rolling back latest Intel display driver, suggested by an user in another thread, fixed the problem for me. To roll back Intel display driver:

1. Click Start

2. Type 'Device Manager' and hit Enter

3. Expand Display adapters

4. Double-click 'Intel(R) HD Graphics 520'

5. Select Driver tab

6. Click 'Roll Back Driver'

7. Select a reason and click Yes

• stephenrappapor
    stephenrappapor Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Excellent solution. Works perfectly. Eliminates the hibernate work around.

• HARDDRAVER
    HARDDRAVER Member Posts: 1 New User
    it worked last time, but after this latest update, it isn't working anymore. The "rollback driver" is greyed out, and I am back to this mess that is this issue. Any suggestions this time?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    edited November 2017
    it worked last time, but after this latest update, it isn't working anymore. The "rollback driver" is greyed out, and I am back to this mess that is this issue. Any suggestions this time?

Hi,
    You should have disabled Windows updating the display driver automatically, roll back the driver in Device manager, go to start and type " Device Installation settings", select "No" radio button in the next window, click save changes and exit.