SW5-171 recommended display is pixelated

Options
Lalaith
Lalaith Member Posts: 4 New User

Not sure which forum to post this in... Problem is with an Aspire Switch SW5-171

I recently had to 'reset' my Aspire Switch SW5-171 to the basic os install as visual studios had currupted files that wouldn't delete from the OS. I have upgrated it to windows 10 before the reset. Everything is working as it should now, however now my screen resolution seems to be 'zoomed in' I have tried to update the graphics driver multiple times. Programs like chrome, firefox, skype, file explorer look fine. However inside the windows menu, the icons are pixalated and fuzzy. Computer Mamagement is fuzzy, the desktop itself feels like it's 'zoomed in' as everything is much larger than they used to be.

Windows update states that my driver is already up to date, I have tried the driver from intel for the Intel HD Graphics 4200 4th genoration but it states my computer doesn't have the required specifications, even though it installs Intel HD Graphics 4200 via the windows update.

The recomended resolution is at 1920x1080, which is what windows defaults to when I uninstall the driver completely. I know the screen can show sharper images as it showed them fine before the reset. Can anyone point me where to get the origional installed programs/drivers that came with it? Perhaps that would help my issue...

Any other recomendations would be great...

Here is a screenshot of computer management next to the desktop: (look at the image in a different tab to see the complete effects)

Capture2.PNG

Best Answer

• Lalaith
    Answer ✓
    Options

So I figured it out myself. 

The driver wasn't the issue it was a setting inside windows 10 that was defaulted to 150%

a warrenty and three new installs later it was this simple.

Control Pannel > Appearance and Personalization > (Under Display) Make text and other items larger or smaller > Set a custome scaling level (blue text in the top paragraph.) Set it to 100%, log out and log in and the problem is fixed.

Answers

• philetus
    Options

Did you do the reset from this screen or from Acer Recovery Management?

Did it reset to Win 8.1?

2016-09-14_2135.jpg

• Lalaith
    Options

I did do it from the screen depicted. I'm sorry for the delayed response. I was able to send it in for warrenty repair, that ended on the 21st, but they pushed the original OS along with all original drivers and such onto it.

The screen is back to the resolution it used to be at but it's still only showing 1920x1080, which is no different than before, yet everything is at a smaller scale and no longer stretched. I'm rather confused. (It is now on windows 8 however)

And I'm encountered with the problem of how I upgrade it back to windows 10... Any ideas?

mine are to do a double driver backup before the image, but it would be using windows 8 drivers at this point, I'm not sure if they would be compatible.... and I'd like to not have to deal with the graphics problem again. Everything on windows 10 worked fine before those couple of files became currupted. I know when I originally upgraded it I had the same problem, but I can't for the life of me remember how I fixed it.

• philetus
    Options

You can still upgrade for free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Don't be surprised if you have problems.

• Lalaith
    Options

It's not finding out how to update it that's the problem, its making sure my screen has the right resolution afterwards. =/

• philetus
    Options

There is a good chance it will do the same thing. I think you should wait a while.

• Lalaith
    Answer ✓
    Options

So I figured it out myself. 

The driver wasn't the issue it was a setting inside windows 10 that was defaulted to 150%

a warrenty and three new installs later it was this simple.

Control Pannel > Appearance and Personalization > (Under Display) Make text and other items larger or smaller > Set a custome scaling level (blue text in the top paragraph.) Set it to 100%, log out and log in and the problem is fixed.