S7-392 Wifi card upgrade

Options
mapajegio
mapajegio Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hi all,

I recently picked up an Aspire S7 haswell and am loving it...except for the flaky wifi.  Reading various forums around the web it is sounding like the problem stems from the Intel N7260 card being straight-up crappy.

I haven't been able to find any tutorials or walkthroughs of people swapping the N7260 card in the S7 out with the much more reliable and faster AC7260, so I wonder: is the card user-replaceable on the S7-392 or is the card permanently soldered onto the main board?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

If the card isn't replaceable, I will likely return this laptop within the 30-day window.  Such a shame!

Answers

• SofaRider
    SofaRider Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

The Intel Centrino Advanced-N 7260 Wi-Fi card on my S7-392 works quite well but it does disconnect every once in a great while.  And when it does I run the following command (in a batch file) to reset the device driver and I'm back in action:

START /min DevCon restart "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B1&SUBSYS_C0608086&REV_6B"

You will need to find your own copy of Microsoft's (Device Console) DevCon.exe utility for this to work.

• galaxyx7
    galaxyx7 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi there!

I am having the exact same problem and I'm wondering the same thing!

Is the N7260 card USER-REPLACABLE or is it permanently soldered onto the mainboard? If it is user-replacable, which wifi module would you recommend to me? I've heard that Intel 6300 should work without any problems!

Also, does BIOS on my S7-392 have a so-called 'whitelist'?

Best regards!

• samboy
    samboy Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Bump....I would really really like to know this as well. Can we update it to the 7260-ac card or 7265-ac card? Is there a list of acceptable upgrades? What of doughnuts? Help us...

• galaxyx7
    galaxyx7 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/acer-aspire-s7-392-haswell-owners-lounge.726019/page-60#post-10187215

Here's my little guide on how to replace the WiFi card. Yes, it is replacable and not soldered onto the motherboard! 

Hope this helps future readers! Smiley Happy

• longo213
    longo213 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I wonder if disabling "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in Device Manager would help.

• Manobi
    Manobi Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

May I have some help here... I had been facing issues on my conections and decided to replaced the wireless card N7260 for a newer AC7265 however the bios doesn't allow me to turn on the new wireless card. Fn+Q doesn't work. I may need a bios without whitelist or smtg else.... It's a S7 392. Anyone?

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,157 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

It could be the Form factor difference, N7260 is a mini PCIe card and the AC7265 is a M.2 card. 

http://ark.intel.com/products/75440/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-7260

https://ark.intel.com/products/83635/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7265

You should have gone for AC7260 which has the same form factor as N7260.

• Manobi
    Manobi Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Thx for the help in here...

The card I installed has all the bells and whistles, same "everything", except one thing: it is entirely made by Intel apparently. Acer bios is restricting the use of other cards it is the only explanation.

A modded bios for this model isn't available, I'd like to get rid of the whitelist/restrictions on this bios. What I think is that Acer tapped this bios in order to run the "fake" raid 0 and it make hard to mess with the rom... without brick this machine once for all.

• SmartFix
    SmartFix Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    guys purchased  intel 9260 installed drivers but says wi-fi turned off cannot turn on ... 
  • JoãoFrancisco
    JoãoFrancisco Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Same problem here. It does not work, don't even try it (9260 AC).
  • Mike_P
    Mike_P Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    For the AC 9260, it works if you mask pins 56 and 57 with clear tape, it's the 3rd and 4th pins from the left on the bottom of the card. There's two pins on the end then a bunch of "blank" PCB then another group of pins in the middle - it's the first two from the left in the second group. YMMV