S7-391 on Windows 8.1 ELANTECH touchpad refuses to work despite trying all suggestions found here!

Options
DrB
DrB Member Posts: 3 New User

I have a 14 month old Aspire S7-391. Please notice that it is just two months out of Warranty! It was wonderful, even using Windows 10, until one month ago when I began getting the blue screen of death. When this became a persistent problem, I ultimately, had to reformat everything and restore the computer from backup into Windows 8 to get it to work again. Unfortunately, that was not the end of my problems.

The Elan touchpad is a very resistant problem. It does not work and it appears that the computer does not recognize that it exists. I have followed every suggestion I could find here including updating the chipset, the BIOS, deleting and reinstalling the ELANTECH drivers of various ages, trying the FN-F7 button, trying the FN-T button(on this model, that is where the on-off switch forr the touchpad is), etc, etc. I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and redid everything multiple times. Still the touchpad will not work. I will not upgrade to Windows 10 because, like many others here, I am convinced that is what started this ridiculous merry go round in the first place.

In the Mouse tab, the ELAN tab is present but non-functional and the buttons that theoretically would be helpful, are all greyed out. In the Device Manager, it cant be found. Under Mouse and other Pointing Devices, it doesn't exist!!

I have spent/wasted the better part of the last month trying to straighten this Aspire S7-391 out and I am now only one millimeter from throwing it out the 10th story window(literally).

I am sorry but no machine, regardless of beauty, is worth this kind of time and difficulty. I am certain this is a compatibility problem, but as far as I can tell, neither Acer nor ELANTECH has brought forth a solution.  A one year old should never have these kinds of problems. I refuse to pay $150.00 for a tech to tell me he cannot solve the problem. I will purchase a different brand of computer first. Can someone please help me??

Oh yes, one more thing...  The fans in this thing are OUTRAGEOUSLY loud, even when the temperatures inside are down. They spin beautifully but when the case is closed up, the noise is enough to wake people up!

HELP ME PLEASE!!!