S5 Intel RAID 0

tpedwards
tpedwards Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

I have an Aspire S5 with 2x 128 GB SSDs that were originally configured in RAID 0. One of the drives was showing an error on one of the SSDs. I backed up the volume, reinitialized the SSDs. At reboot, it was no longer configured in RAID 0 and the Intel boot ROM (Cntrl-I) no longer shows up during the boot process. I have seen references to changing the boot type from UEFI to Legacy (BIOS), but this option does not show up on my S5 (BIOS 1.09).

I have noticed that in the Security tab in the BIOS menus, the SSDs are shown as Frozen. I have hit the battery reset button and the next boot clears that (until the subsequent boot), but the Intel ROM still does not show up in the boot sequence. Also, the Intel IRST software will not install - something about system not having capability for this software.

Is there a sequence I am missing? Shouldn't I be able to reconfigure the SSDs back to RAID 0? Until I can, I will not be able to restore my backup since it is too large to fit on either of the two SSDs formatted individually.

Thanks,

Tom in Nashville

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Tom, can you post the entire model number?

S5-xxx

can you check the RAID status?

To verify RAID status, go into the BIOS and look at the BOOT priority order.

RAID 0 is configured if:

• HDD0 = Intel Aspire S5-391
    • HDD1 = blank
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • tpedwards

It appears that the RAID status is somehow off. I do not have it with me, but I am quite familiar with the boot order. It does look something like this:

HDD0 = 128 GB SSD (manufacturer name here)

HDD1 = 128 GB SSD (manufacturer name here)

Yes, both lines are the same with the exception of one being HDD0 vs. HDD1. The RAID 0 array was definitely broken.

I will list the trailing four digits that follow S5-391 when I get a chance.

Tom in Nashville

• IronFly

not need of the other 4 digit, the model is ok.

to be correct you don't have 2 SSD but one configured to works as it was 2 SSD, this to have RAID0 configuration.

you need a special "tool" (bootable disk) to recreate the RAID0 from scratch but it's available on to Acer's tech.

if your warranty is still valid, give a call to Acer support service.

• tpedwards

Thanks,

I'll try to chat with someone from Acer when I get home and get the SNID. Do you have any idea what this tool is called?

Interesting that there WAS an Intel boot (Ctrl-I) option that no longer appears.

The S5-391 is the only laptop model I have encountered that has two very different versions, one is UEFI/BIOS (2.x ROM) and the other is BIOS only (1.x ROM). I have ROM 1.09.

I have done a virgin install of Win7 on the first volume, should I be able to get the Intel software installed to recreate the RAID0 across the two parts of the single SSD? Or is the Acer tool the ONLY way to recreate the RAID 0?

I have seen reports of issues around fouling of the RAID 0 and the advice given is backup, reconfigure (break RAID 0, reestablish RAID 0 and recreate volume), restore from backup. You would think there would be a user-downloadable tool.

Thanks again,

Tom in Nashville

• IronFly

the S5 is not the only with 2 BIOS version:

1.xx is only for Windows 7 laptop from factory

2.xx is only for Windows 8.x laptop from factory

so you can't mix the 2 versions.

i don't know if any Intel tool will be able to re-create the RAID0, the only information i was able to access is that a "special" bootable disk is needed to recreate the RAID0 configuration.

only an Acer tech can help you further.

Sorry. Smiley Happy

• ECS-TH
    ECS-TH Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi guys

Just to share my experience... I have a clients S5-391 with a 128GB mSATA (64+64) that lost its raid config after an upgrade. Ive been looking for three days for a solution getting the raid 0 back in place and finally found something that worked for me...

Ive tried using the cli way but ran into an endless loop of issues. Tried using different different media, operating systems etc only to run into a new issue. Luckily i still had the original recovery image so was still able to get the system running on one 64GB SSD.

Out of options i decided to have a look at the installed Intel Rapid Storage on the app. Both disks were listed there and believe it or not it gave me an option to configure a raid setup!!!

Working in IT for the last 19 years I know for a a fact you can't manipulate raid configurations on an active system disk so was kind of sceptical proceeding. Didnt have anything to loose so tried anyway.

1. Created a raid 0 volume and named it "Stripe"

2. "Migrating data" process started and took about 20 minutes.

3. Rebooted laptop

4. After reboot windows installed a device with the name above I specified for my volume (Stripe)

5. Rebooted again and BAM!!! My 128GB volume was back!!

6. Extended my current "C" drive to use the new unallocated space.

This may not be a solution for this specific post but felt I had to share incase it would help someone.

Theo