R7-571 locks 3 min after boot with bios 2.09

Tomtreas
Tomtreas Member Posts: 4 New User

I recently updated my bios on my R7-571 and it has caused me great woe.  My computer will lock hard between 3 min and 3:30 min after bootup if I don't disable the WIndows Managment INstrumentation service.  THis of course caused other problems on services that depend on that like LogMeIn.  I need a solution to this.  Either a way to downgrade to an earlier bios which I don't think is possible without a version of the bios updater that will support this, or a newer bios that addresses this issue.  Please help.  I paid a lot of money for this laptop even tho it was a refurbished model.  I'm only a few months past warranty.  I hope someone can help me resolve this.

Best Answer

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Tomtreas,

I'm sorry you received that response and would like to provide some help. Can you please private message me your contact information so we can have someone contact you and provide you some options we have for you and your product. We should be able to provide you with a paid service at the very least.

Answers

• Ryanrr

Tomtreas,

I am sorry your computer is locking up after the BIOS update. I looked and see that there is a BIOS 2.08 that is available and you could try downloading and installing that BIOS version to see if it fixes your problem. If the problem persists, it may need service.

Another option would be to reinstall the operating system as it seems like there is a software issue/conflict with that particular service you have to disable.

• Tomtreas

OS has already been restored all the way back to how it left the factory with no help.  If I didn't mention it, I am on v2.09 and while 2.08 is available for download on the website, the installer for it says there is a bios mismatch.  I took that to mean that I couldn't downgrade because I was already newer.  Do you know of a way to go from 2.09 to 2.08?  Please share if you do.

Thanks!

• Ryanrr

Tomtreas,

It sounds like you have tried all my suggestions prior and that was all I could think of trying. At this point I would recommend contacting our technical support group in your region for further assistance as the system may need to come in for repair.

• Tomtreas

I have contacted Acer technical support and they told me that because it was a refubished computer that was purchased in bulk from some people named Teleplan Service Logistics that Acer couldn't help me.  I contacted Teleplan and since it was past their 90 day warranty obligation, they could not help me either.  I called Acer back and the absolute BEST they could give me was to contact a local certified service outlet, Best Buy or Walmart.  I am a service technician of some almost 20 years now.  I'm not able to understand why I cannot get paid service from Acer on this product.  I am practically certain that likely a quick trip back to the factory for a bios reflash will likely solve my issue, or even a special build of the now available 2.08 without the check for newer bios maybe, but so far it appears that I don't have any option unless you can point me in a different direction than I have already gone for this.  I really hope so because I've only had this beautiful piece of machinery for about 6 months and I would really not like it much to have to buy something else right now.

• Ryanrr
    Answer ✓

Tomtreas,

I'm sorry you received that response and would like to provide some help. Can you please private message me your contact information so we can have someone contact you and provide you some options we have for you and your product. We should be able to provide you with a paid service at the very least.

• nachomahn
    nachomahn Member Posts: 2 New User

So mine is doing the exact same thing.  Upgraded to 2.09 and it crashes shortly after boot, even after a wipe/reinstall ... Did you get a fix for this or a way to downgrade the bios?

• Tomtreas

I did get paid support for mine as was last mentioned above.  It cost me a good deal, but the laptop design and function was enough for me to pull that trigger.  The problem was well explained, well documented and included with the shipment.  I had put a 256G mSata in my unit which I removed before shipment and I factory reloaded it again.  Verified a gain that the problem still existed and it did.  I couldn't find the 24G mSata that was originally in it at the time (I have since) and sent it in with the fee.  It returned about two weeks later IIRC with a note that said that they reloaded the factory image and replaced the mSata drive and did nothing else to it.  I was skeptical but it worked fine.  No lockups anymore.  I was still a bit skeptical so I put my 256G mSata drive in it, reconfigured everything as I had it when it started to mess up and I"ve been using it ever since without issue.  I THINK I remember verifying that it still had 2.09 on it but I'm not sure.  I will check it in the next few days when I pull it out again and if it it not I will post back.  Maybe Acer-Ryan can chime in in the mean time and get you going in the direction of repair with a couple of PMs.

• nachomahn
    nachomahn Member Posts: 2 New User

Big thanks for the info Tomtreas!  I really have no desire to pay Acer to fix it. Sigh.  I installed Ubuntu on it and it works like a champ so at least it isn't bricked.