R5-471T-52EE R14 touchscreen lacks responsiveness/jumpy + Intel graphics driver crashes repeatedly

jawjadawg
jawjadawg Member Posts: 1 New User

Purchased this product a little over 3 weeks ago.  Problems from the start.  The touchscreen is not at all smooth.  Trying to zoom in on pictures by pinching/spreading fingers on the screen is terrible.  My experience with a competing brand was much better/smoother.  Sometimes the touchscreen just doesn't seem to work at all.  Then it will come back.  Another issue is that my intel graphics driver continually crashes.  This is my last resort before returning the product to exchange for a different brand.  Please help.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

I'm using a similar version of the R5-471T and pinch to zoom photos works flawlessly.  Microsoft recently pushed a new Intel graphics driver through Windows Updates.  It went to Haswell, Broadwell and Skylake computers like we currently have.  So I'm guessing somehow your computer got out of whack on Day 1. 

1. Backup your important personal files to a USB drive

2. Reset the computer to factory condition (Just remove my files)

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29925/~/use-acer-erecovery-management-to-restore-your-system-or-create-recovery-media

3. After your computer resets, look for the Acer Care Center App on your computer and update  your computer including critical updates and driver updates.

4.Within 72 hours, Microsoft should push the Intel .4331 driver to your computer through windows update.

Let us know how it goes.  And please report your BIOS version.  To check your BIOS version, right click on Windows start button, left click on "run", type msinfo32, click ok.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB

Did you get it working?

On second thought.....it might not push the new Intel driver......unless you install it manually.

If you need more help, just ask, and I will look more in to your problem.

• IgnuanaRex
    IgnuanaRex Member Posts: 7 New User

I have this same graphics driver problem, though no touchscreen issues.    There's nothing unusual I've done with my laptop that would cause this so there must be a lot of people living with it.    I just upgraded my driver on Intel website to the 4404 version, which is beta, but the current active version didn't intall.    Hope it works better.    Suggest Acer gets on this with a new driver in the download section.    I'll report on how this goes.

I'm not saying the crashing is Acer's fault, it's probably Intel's fault, but when this happens a new driver needs to get approved and put into Acer's support section asap so people don't have to go through the crazy workaround needed to install the Intel driver from their website.

Is there a better way for me to notify Acer of this than be posting on this board?

• IgnuanaRex

Oh, and by the way, it's correct that no newer driver would have been pushed by Windows update other than the original one provided by Acer.   It's not clear why it was even suggested that that would happen.     But then again, I see such low activity on these "community forums" and so little useful feedback, that I don't think I'll bother posting out here again.   

I'm truly saddened by this pathetic lack of customer support by Acer and am quickly growing genuinely sorry I ever purchased one of their products.   This forum is worse than Microsofts, where people who don't really speak English come on and pretty much ignore everything the original poster said and ask them random questions and suggest they use system restore when, say, they've just said they've already done that.

I can't give much credit to a company that continues to provide a driver on their website that has known issues for 6 months from its release date.  

[edited for clarity]

• ElizabethS
    ElizabethS Member Posts: 845 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hello IguanaRex

This is a peer to peer support forum. Acer does not monitor it for technical issues with their products. For that, you need to contact the support provider in your region.

• IgnuanaRex

Sorry, I was at my wit's end and that post of mine was out of line.   I apologize for getting like that.

• JordanB
  • IgnuanaRex

Saw that!   Took a while but glad it's done.