R3-471 missing bottom screws

tmsmb2
tmsmb2 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have had my R3-471 for just over 2 years now and it was the best investment I've ever made. I have lost a few of the screws of the back of my laptop though and I don't know how to find out what kind they are to order them. The missing screws are in charge of holding the bottom of my laptop in place. I am missing 7 out of 15 screws! I have never taken the back off so I don't know where they all went. I would love to get them replaced because the back wiggles without them and it makes putting in HDMI cords and others a strain, and my laptop types really loud because the back moves. If you could just tell me what type of screws they are that would be peachy thanks!

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

The size is M2.5 X 5.5.   There's actually 16 screws.

I don't know if you can find them on Ebay or if you'll have to call Acer.  Seems like an odd screw.

r3basescrew.PNG

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Prices are all over the place. This is probably overkill but since you need A Bunch may be the most cost effective.

• tmsmb2
    tmsmb2 Member Posts: 2 New User

Would the 2.5x5 or the 2.5x6 substitute for the 2.5x5.5? is the last number the length? Since the screws fell out I think they could be longer, but if it effects the shape of the threads of the screws then I don't want to get a bunch that won't match

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

The last number is the length, measured from the bottom of the head to the end of the screw. M2.5 uses a 0.45 thread pitch for machine screws, so one complete turn moves it 0.45mm deeper or looser into the nut. I'd think either a 5 or 6 should probably work.

The part number doesn't tell us what type of screw it is though. It might be a machine screw (the type that screws into a nut) or a plastic screw (the type that screws into a hole in the plastic, usually creating it's own threads). You should pull one of the ones you have left to verify screw type before ordering.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JordanB

Here's more info......

r3screwsg.PNG

not sure if the screws below will work but they do show an actual length of 5.5 even though they are called M2.5 x 5.

If in doubt, I guess you could call Acer and ask if they have that part.

https://www.amazon.com/M2-5x5MM-PM2-5X5-0-notebooks-Alienware-LaptopScrewsDirect/dp/B00BW3QRD8

• JordanB

Here's another possibility although it's still M2.5 x 5 and not M2.5 x 5.5

r3lapscrew.PNG

http://www.laptopscrews.com/M2.5x5.htm