R3-131T won't boot - Freezes

Options
weezerwookie
weezerwookie Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I've had this neat touch-screen tablet-notebook for 2 years now. I love it. At least I did until a couple weeks ago.

I made a mistake - I tried to install Linux Ubuntu. It never took hold. It never successfully launched from the SSD.

I wanted to go back to the factory image, but I had made a big mistake - I formatted all the partitions, including the factory pre-installed Windows 8 boot partition that had all the drivers.

I was told that I would have to order a Boot Media from Acer. That I did. 45 dollars for something that doesn't work. When I try to boot from this media, I get the Acer logo, then two dots show up to begin the donut animation, and it just stays frozen like that. The same thing happened when I created my own Windows Boot USB for free with an old 4gb thumb drive.

Acer customer service told me the hardware must be fried. I don't think the machine is fried. It can boot Ubuntu from the USB, I can use it to browse, transfer files, etc. It runs Ubuntu just fine as the trial version. It doesn't boot Ubuntu from the regular solid state drive. Thus, it can't save work. Just works as a temporary workstation.

I also tried to boot the Linux Based Chromium OS. It launches the installation program. It requires an internet connection to proceed and don't have that right now, however, I'm not particularly keen on installing Chromium. Ideally, I want to have a Windows / Ubuntu Dual Boot option when I turn this on.

I'm already out $45 for a boot media and considering scrapping this and buying a newer refurbished Chromebook version.

I wouldn't even know where to scrap this hardware, I don't want to toss it. It seems to work fine with Ubuntu, keyboard, mouse, touch screen, but I can't figure out what's keeping it from booting Windows.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

-Al

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

would you mind try to create a windows 10 USB installation media following this instructions?

1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

have you checked if your BIOS is set to UEFI?

maybe try to disable secure boot, just to install, then you can re-enable.

• weezerwookie

Tinkerer

Options

I hadn't checked that. Thanks for the suggestion!

It seems to be booting now!

I'll keep you posted to see what happens.

At this moment it's frozen with the Windows logo and 3 dots beginning the donut animation

• weezerwookie

Tinkerer

Options

I just now tried that.

It now freezes at the Windows Logo. A move forward, but still frozen at boot.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

would you mind try to create a windows 10 USB installation media following this instructions?

1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device

• weezerwookie

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks for the help. I'll get to work on this when I get back to my home workstation.

• weezerwookie

Tinkerer

Options

I'm downloading now. But I should note, this machine never ran windows 10. I came with Windows 8. I later upgraded to 8.1. When I tried to upgrade to 10 it said it was unable to.

I haven't yet tried to install windows 10 on there from a fresh boot. According to Windows, the R3-131T can run Windows 10. 

Working on the installation/boot media now...

• bms578
    bms578 Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options
    Did you ever find a way to fix this? Having similar issues.