R3-131T-C62X memory upgrade?

Options
jgplarnold
jgplarnold Member Posts: 5 New User

I found an advertisement for this laptop which states that the memeory is 4GB DDR3 and has a maximum memory of 8GB.

This seems to suggest that the memory is upgradable.

Is this correct?

I cannot find a bay under the laptop where the memory might be located only screws around the edge.

Maybe upgradable in a workshop?

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Run msinfo32. Note what it says after "processor". If it says "CPU N3700" then it is probably upgradable. If "CPU N3050" then probably not.

I cannot keep track of all of the different suffixes and sub-models.

• jgplarnold
    Options

Thanks

I checked and found that the same retailer lists the Acer R3-131T-P3U3 which has an N3700 processor and comes with 8GB ram and also a 1TB drive and is a lot more expensive. Everything else is the same except the processor, CPU and HDD.

I must then challenge the retailer about the R3-131T-C62X which they list as MEMORY 4GB  Upgradable to 8.

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/acer-aspire-r3-131t-c62x-11-6-laptop.html

No other retailer lists the C62X as being upgradable.

Maybe I can tell them that they are advertising falsely.

• jgplarnold
    Options

Just found the same model on ACER's web site and it also shows that ram is upgradable.

Refer

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/AU/content/model/NX.G10SA.002

There is no noticable 'bay' on the underside which can be ooened which suggest that it ie either not upgradable OR that the entire bottom cover needs to be removed for access. Surely this then can only be done be an Acer technician?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

On my R3-131T-P344 you have to remove the 12 screws on the back and then gently pry the case apart. The single SIMM memory slot is then visible.

Note: there is a microswitch by one of the center screws. If that screw is not tight, the machine will not boot.

• jgplarnold
    Options

Thanks for the advice.

I don't think I will attempt a memory upgrade until after the warranty expires just in case I have a problem and have to return it under warranty.

I once owned a Lenovo laptop which had a small 'hatch' in the base to allow easy ram upgrades. It's surprising that ACER didn't do the same if the ram is upgradable. I found some YouTube videos showing how to upgrade ram on larger (15") laptops and they all showed having to remove the entire base for access.

In any case maybe 4GB ram will be ok as I only intend to use the laptop for internet surfing, email, very simple XCEL spreadsheets and small WORD files. I realise that W10 64 bit can address more than 4gb (3.4Gb) but hopefully I will notice very difference between 4 and 8GB