R13 Skylake broken toplid

RD274
RD274 Member Posts: 9 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

HELP!

I always wanted an R13, so when I saw a cheap R13 for sale on kijiji (canadas craigslist), I shot the guy a lowball offer and he accepted. Now the thing is he clearly advertised that the top glass was cracked and it even looked that way in the pics, but it didn't bother me much because a- I thought it was only cracked and not completely broken and b- IM GETTING AN R13!

So anyways I met the guy and bought it off him for 400cad (300usd). The laptop is perfect. Skylake 5200U, 8gb ram although only 128gb storage. Display good and everything working fine, except I didnt check the lid properly and now that I'm home with the laptop I've noticed that the top glass isn't just cracked- its broken and some of the glass is pushing inward. I was okay with a cracked lid as I could cover it with a sticker (like how hes done) and it would do for the time being, but this broken lid is a risk to the display.

1- How can I disassemble the top lid and get the broken glass out on priority? Theres no disassembly guide or service manual online so does anyone know/have instructions for this?

2- Where can I get a replacement glass? Almost every other acer laptop including its older cousin R7 has replacement parts, but I can't find anything for this.

Although,I'm pretty good at 3d printing and crafting so Im fairly certain I can replace the top glass with something else if not the original. Right now Im really worried about losing the display to the lid. Everything else on this laptop is perfect, infact I'm typing from it right now ....

Heres what the lid looks like-

http://imgur.com/QydgrVq

http://imgur.com/AOUoiTi

Its only that one side that is pushing inside. The rest has criss crossing cracks, but they are not as worrysome.

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Sounds like you have an R7-572 & what you need may be an Acer Aspire R7-572G Rear LCD Cover. I show a 60.M9UN2.003 as a possible replacement. Have to be a little vaugue because I do not have one.

• RD274

Hi, thanks for responding. Its a R13- not a R7. Although I did message that ebay seller if he has a R13 part.

Exact model : Acer Aspire R7-371T-59ZK

• padgett

Acer has an interesting way of defining model lines and specific models. R15, R14, R13, R11 describe the "R" model line and the screen size. And it keeps changing to confuse the natives. Further the the actual Model number is more complex:

First digit (R) indicates the series

Second digit incates the level (7- best, 1-basic)

-

Third digit screen size (7-17.3, 5-15.6, 4-14", 3-13.3", 1-11.6")

rest define the CPU, battery, touch, etc.

So my R11 is really R3-131T-Pxxx and your Acer Aspire R13 aka R7-371T-59ZK is a top of the line unit with a 13.3" display (think I gave you the part number for the 15" display (R7-572) earlier.

The not-so-good news is that I do not show just a rear cover for a R13, just the whole cover and display module 6M.MQPN7.001 or 6M.MQPN7.003

• RD274

Apologies, I just googled the partnumber you gave me in the post earlier and it led me to this listing - https://www.amazon.com/60-M9UN2-003-Acer-Aspire-R7-571-R7-571G/dp/B00SSGRATW . So I assumed you meant the part was for an Acer R7 (the larger convertible with the single center hinge).

Id hate to buy a new display. The display on this is perfect. No flicker, bleeding, lines ... nothing. Plus its expensive. What part number do I need to look for for just the top lid minus the frame. I dont think its a single metal piece like the R7 so maybe I can get away with just the lid?

Also, disassembly- on priority I want the current broken lid removed before the plastic bends inwards and ruins the display. Could you help me find a disassembly guide or service manual for this laptop? Normally it would be very simple, but with this floating hinge design- I guess its not that simple for the R13.

• padgett

Not easy to diassemble and will probably void any warrenty

1) remove hinge cover (pinch and pry)

2) remove base cover (12 screws)

3) disconnect and remove battery (2 screws)

4) disconnect and remove the DC-in cable and jack from the top cover

5) remove tape, disconnect, and remove touch sensor cable

6) remove tape, disconnect, and remove eDP (displayport) cable & remove from hook

7) remove LCD hinge screws (4 screws)  

8) separate LCD module.

Once everything is removed I'd try something like an epoxy to rebuild the cracked case but not sure exactly what will stick.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

The parts below are for 

R7-371T-59ZK (It's a Broadwell computer...not a Skylake computer)

NX.MQQAA.008

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABDK4FA4490&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Notebooks-_-9SIABDK4FA4490&gclid=CNuRuLLEsdECFRY8gQodYk4Irw&gclsrc=aw.ds

r7broadwell1.PNG

r7broadwell2.PNG

It looks like they are really expensive.  I'd probably just buy a new laptop and write it off as lesson learned.

Check Acer for parts prices.

Acer USA

https://store.acer.com/en-us/

Acer Canada

https://store.acer.com/en-ca/

The parts in link below are really high price but might help understand what parts you need (because I'm not sure---Laurent_14 is the parts expert)

http://www.notebooksolutions.ca/zc/acer-original-lcd-module-ac91665-79174.html

Good luck.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB

Actuallyy, I'm going to go ahead and give you all of the spare parts for your computer.  Again, I have no idea what you need.

part1r7.PNG

part2ar7.PNG

• RD274

Thanks guys. Really good info here, but I cant find the replacement lid glass mentioned anywhere in that list- is that list all Acer has for it?

In other news- After some careful prying and pulling I got the old damaged top glass out. It took some effort because it was gorilla glass, but after some tugging, pulling, cutting and a few cuts lol- got it all out without any damage to the display/webcam/orientation module.

Basically I need the top black glass piece here that has the Acer logo on it. Everything else is perfect.

• JordanB

I'm not really a laptop parts expert like Padgett and Laurent_14 and some of the others on this forum.  But to me, it looks like they sell the entire assembly as one part.  I've given you everything I have.  Hopefully someone else can help you further or give you more info.  Good luck.

• RD274

Well that sucks. I noticed they've listed everything- but the lid and whats amazing is that the glass top is one seperate piece that is stuck on to the lid with double sided tape so it most definetly is removable/changeable. Just that the part isn't available.

• RD274

yep, it does look like Acer is selling the entire upper lid as a single part just like the S7, but strangely the s7 still has parts floating around. Why not for the R13? :/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Aspire-S7-191-LCD-Back-Cover-Lid-11-6-Silver-604WD05001-/131201680756

• JordanB

Go back and re-read that parts list.  I could be wrong about what I said as "one part".  Take your time and patiently read through my previous posts.  Good luck.

• RD274

I did. It seem mentioned only with the display. Smiley Sad

• JordanB

Ok.  Try Acer Store Canada.  Maybe call them or chat.  Not sure if they are open on the weekends.  Probably have to wait til Monday.  Ask them if they have the part you need and the price.  You can explan to them what part you need.  Smiley Happy

https://store.acer.com/en-ca/

• RD274

yeah guess ill have to try that tomorrow.

Unrelated question: My R13 has two m.2 with one in use. Can I put in a different make (most probably a Crucial 275gb m.2) in the other slot?

• JordanB

You can start a new topic about that M.2 question.  

• RD274

Right so Im screwed. Acer tells me that the part is available as a single display assembly for the insane price of 500usd.