R13 SSD upgrade to 1 gig for model R7-371T-76HR

Options
geezerhood
geezerhood Member Posts: 3 New User

I am planning on buying one of this very soon and would like to upgrade the 256gb ssd in an R13/ R7-371T-76HR to a 1tb. I see no point in getting the 512gb model since I need a 1 gig. Other than SSD size they appear to be identical.

I am assuming it is an mSATA? What 1tb drives will work in this machine?

While i am in there what else should I think about upgrading? I need the best performance I can get for artwork creation and 50 megapixel RAW file photo editing.

Does opening the case void my warranty?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

This says the R13 can handle 1TB and 8 gigs of ram. For performance I would do both. If Acer touts the upgrade capabilities, it should not void your warranty, but I've seen comments go both ways.

http://gizmoreport.com/acer-announces-aspire-r13-r14-convertible-devices-quad-hd-display/#.VG1OYPnF_u4

• geezerhood
    Options

Thanks for that info.

I am going to run it for a while with the 256 just in case there are some out of the box issues, then install the larger SSD later. The machine it is replacing only has a 64gb in it so there will be plenty of room for the current contents.

I hope that the WQHD display that comes with the i7 processor versions is decent. Strange that the IPS display is only offered on the lower cost machines.

Another thing I would like to know is if the video card supports a 4k external monitor. I tried to download the owners manual on the acer web site but it said "Service not available". I don't see a phone number or an email to call that lets you talk to someone there unless you enter a serial number of an already owned Acer product.....

• geezerhood
    Options

That was what I found also, but the display driver for Windows has to support it and after calling Acer they said that with this model it does not, though it might in the future with a driver update. Another problem is the HDMI port. From what I have read it needs to be an HDMI 2.0 or a Displayport to handle the amount of data required for that high of a display. Nobody at Acer USA would tell me if the HDMI port is 2.0 or the older version.

Still no definitive answer on the 76HR and 4k (the one for sale at the Microsoft store that I was looking at) but someone at Acer over the phone said that the 78XG version is supposed to support 4k out of the box. I forgot to ask at what refresh rate ( I think that is what it is called?) From what I read a non HDMI 2.0 port only supports 30p on most machines.

They also said that the internal mSATA SSD is user upgradeable.